How is it I don't know this stuff?Swivel nut Setting and Adjustment on Regulator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue-Frog

Reaction score
I think I need an introductory lesson.
It is not behaving as I expect it to.
I removed the white tape... Bad idea?It doesn't 'swivel' so much as 'undo' .
How are these things supposed to operate?

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_161118~2.jpg
    IMG_20231108_161118~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
How are these things supposed to operate?
I am not sure what you are asking. Is it leaking? I have a similar looking mini-regulator. That is just a connection from the regulator to the disconnect. When the connection is not fully tightened, you should be able to twist the regulator side so that the gauge and cartridge are pointing in reasonable directions. I don't think you need teflon tape on any of these connections.

Almost looks like you're attempting to use straight thread or pipe fittings where flare fittings are typical (at least on my QDs).

I understand it to be a swivel thingy that as you said, lets me rotate things so they can be lined up as wished. When everything is tightened, nothing freely rotates.Of course, if I unscrew something then yes, something moves, but not in the sense of a swivel, more in the sense of simply loose. There is a condition I don't know how to create, where the swivel allows me to rotate freely but only in one direction. (going the other way just makes it unscrew)
So my only choices are Fixed position or too loose... And occasionally for some reason, free rotation but only in one direction.

Last edited:
I understand it to be a swivel thingy that as you said, lets me rotate things so they can be lined up as wished. When everything is tightened, nothing freely rotates.Of course, if I unscrew something then yes, something moves, but not in the sense of a swivel, more in the sense of simply loose. There is a condition I don't know how to create, where the swivel allows me to rotate freely but only in one direction. (going the other way just makes it unscrew)
So my only choices are Fixed position or too loose... And occasionally for some reason, free rotation but only in one direction.
Could you unscrew the four parts and lay them out for a picture so we can see the mating ends?
That would help us answer more accurately.

Could you unscrew the four parts and lay them out for a picture so we can see the mating ends?
That would help us answer more accurately.
And I concur, tape should not be needed for the 1/4" flare on the QD. The other joints are subject to inspection to confirm what joint-type they are.

It had teflon tape on it when I got it...I was always unsure about if it was supposed to... today I was going to replace it, but noticed difficulty and new behaviour. Hard to pinpoint, but increased freedom of movement plus a tendency to loosen sooner than before.
Anyway, no teflon now.

Ha ha... could be but I hope not. I haven't been able to attach it again WITH tape attached so not sure whats what. Are you using one like this? The brass thing on the right requires a hex key (forgot the real name) to un-screw. BTW... Which nut (?) is supposed to be the swivel-er? the knurled brass step down adapter lin the middle or the one on the right that requires the hex key?

Should it provide unlimited rotation or only unidirectional rotation?

Can't tell what you have until you take it all apart and provide pictures of the threads and such of the individual bits.

The answer: "The gobs of tape used indicates the parts don't actually fit together in a legit fashion".

Cheers!
And that is exactly how I found all our expensive 1" hose x 3/4" hose reducers at work - threaded onto 1" pipes.

Ha ha... could be but I hope not. I haven't been able to attach it again WITH tape attached so not sure whats what. Are you using one like this? The brass thing on the right requires a hex key (forgot the real name) to un-screw. BTW... Which nut (?) is supposed to be the swivel-er? the knurled brass step down adapter lin the middle or the one on the right that requires the hex key?

Should it provide unlimited rotation or only unidirectional rotation?
It swivels to assemble it. It's not meant to swivel when it's tightened. No, you do not use teflon tape on flare connections. Remove that.
Are you sure about that? I thought the swivel was to allow different usage orientations once it was set up....

BTW when thinking about what pictures to take, I observed the following: There is no Swivel when the middle Knurled Brass is well tightened to the gray post: everything is locked down. If I loosen the grip between them, the smooth brass rotates freely for as long as I care to spin it; I think that is the swivel and it operates by use of an Allen Wrench inserted into the threaded screw foot-part presumably enlarging part of the threaded foot while letting the cup spin, and, alternately, turning the allen the other way, loosens the the smooth brass swivel unit (for removal from the regulator) ; Pictures? I think "moving pictures" are necessary here!

Last edited:
"It's not meant to swivel when it's tightened."

If you are correct, then I guess that means it is working properly NOW,
and I was using it incorrectly for the past oh, seven years?

humm, I should fess up that the allen theory is based on pictures and info on other similar products and not on original knowledge. It is entirely possible I have joined a wacky false relegion 💥

"It's not meant to swivel when it's tightened."

If you are correct, then I guess that means it is working properly NOW,
and I was using it incorrectly for the past oh, seven years?
Correct.

What is that brass bit in the middle? I have a mini reg that has a flare connection on it, no adaptor needed for a qd.

A few pictures of the disassembled parts would have led to definitive answers long ago.

Honestly I could see maybe a single wrap of tape or some pipe dope on the threads to reduce friction and prevent corrosion but that’s it. It’s not a pipe thread that jams to make a seal it’s the flare faces mating that make the seal

Not sure this helps any now but here are a few shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_011226.jpg
    IMG_20231111_011226.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231111_011255.jpg
    IMG_20231111_011255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231111_011700.jpg
    IMG_20231111_011700.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231111_011326.jpg
    IMG_20231111_011326.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Ok, unless the reach of the QD stem isn't long enough for its tip to seat against that rubber gasket, there's no need for tape on that connection. And the same deal applies to the male threads on that brass adapter: if the tip can reach the white plastic gasket inside the regulator receiver, there's no need for tape on that connection, either...

Cheers!

Yeah I'm sure. All the swivel barb to ffl fittings on keg lines are the same. The nut swivels so the hose doesn't get twisted on assembly. On this mini reg you can adapt it to various positions until the gasket gets tight.

Is the piece that screws onto the QD actually a swivel / two-piece adapter or is it one solid piece?

If two-piece true swivel then tightness and alignment as one desires should present no problem. If one piece then it will be trickier, although certainly not impossible, to get everything tight and in the desired alignment.

Is the piece that screws onto the QD actually a swivel / two-piece adapter or is it one solid piece?

If two-piece true swivel then tightness and alignment as one desires should present no problem. If one piece then it will be trickier, although certainly not impossible, to get everything tight and in the desired alignment.
It definitely swivels. The 1/8" BSP threads are part of a flare "tailpiece". You can see that it's not machined from a single piece by this gap here..

1699909595394.png

Back