How fine is too fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj1angier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting set up to do my first BIAB. I am using my basket that came with my pot and made my liner for it with with the Walmart sheer curtain. It looks likes its a very fine "mesh".

I have a Wonder Mill grain grinder. I just ran a couple of cups of grain thru it to see what the grind is like. When set on course, it is still finer than grits but bigger than AP flour- kind of like corn meal.

So is that too fine? Will it just turn into dough when hits water? I can pick up a roller mill if I need to ( local store grind is not fine enough I think for BIAB to get good %) but I had the Wonder Mill already for cooking.

No one but you can answer that question. Try a small amount of the milled grain in a reduced quantity of water and see what you get. I suspect that it will work fine but I haven't seen your milled grain nor tried it in the bag I use. If it is too fine and plugs up the bag you will have wasted only a little grain to find your answer.

Back