How do you RDWHAHB when you dont HAHB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish826

Reaction score
Brewed my second batch last night. A Belgian Tripel kit. Everything that went wrong on my first batch went great this time. I finished at about 2 AM (waited for the kids to go to bed before I started) went to bed and woke up about 7 am. I came downstairs to find a nice 3 inch kraussen had formed while I slept. Now the question I have for you guys is, how do I stop worrying all day that when I get home there's gonna be a huge kraussen explosion all over the place? Any tips? I think I'm more worried about leaving my HB at home by itself than I was when I left my daughter at the babysitters the first time. Lol.

I never used to use blowoff tubes, just used airlocks and 6.5 gallon carboys for primary. However, that changed after my first belgian. When it goes, it goes big time, made a heck of a mess. I'll always use blowoff tubes in a pail of starsan from now on.

If you can't RDWHAHB, then I guess you should RDWHACB until the HB is ready!

C = commercial

Using a blowoff tube helps, but these things happen, not a huge deal and kind of a cool experience to witness, I had one a couple months ago..

Relax, don't worry, finish your day at work worry free and if you have a krausen mess at the house, simply clean it up, pop your CO2 lock back on, and let it keep going, then have a craft brew!

RDWFYDAWWFAIYHAKMATHSCIUPYCLBOALIKGTHACB!

Relax, don't worry, finish your day at work worry free and if you have a krausen mess at the house, simply clean it up, pop your CO2 lock back on, and let it keep going, then have a craft brew!

RDWFYDAWWFAIYHAKMATHSCIUPYCLBOALIKGTHACB!

How long did that take you?

That was one big ass acronym! I did use a blow off tube on it. Unfortunately, it was a small tube. The tube I planned on using wasn't big enough to fit over the airlock. I'll be home shortly, so I'll let you how it turned out.

blow-off tube bro, they are essential. It's never a bad idea to do one even if you THINK you won't need it (i.e. my last pale ale). With the heat wave, kick back with a nice vodka tonic.

Finally got home to find all is well. No explosion and the blowoff tube was bubbling like crazy. Worried all day for nothing. Have to say, though, I am definitely going to stick with using a better bottle or glass carboy from now on. The bucket worked fine, but being able to see all the activity going on during fermentation is amazing.

image-2691446631.jpg

image-1770151225.jpg

The bucket worked fine, but being able to see all the activity going on during fermentation is amazing.

Yep, part of the reason I never used buckets. You can a lot of good info on what's happening when you can see into the fermenter.

Back