How to stop carbonation in the Fridge when making KVASS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I've been brewing some KVASS where first iteration of fermentation lasts around 1-3 days.

Then I put my KVASS into bottles and store it in the fridge. But cold does not kill the yeast, it just kinda slows it down and I am a bit scared for my KVASS to get carbonated too much and explode.

What would you suggest on how to kill yeasts or how to completely stop it? Or how to stop my bottles from exploding just in case? What is the approach?

For example I want to put some sugar into my kvass and let it refrigerate and drink my kvass with some sugar, but yeast just eats it all while freezing.

Typically with beer, we assume that when the SG (specific gravity) of the liquid stops falling and remains the same for 3 days that there is no more sugars that will support fermentation and production of CO2.

Then if we are bottling our beer we calculate how much fermentable sugar to add to the beer so that the yeast can again start fermenting and producing CO2 to give our beer the desired carbonation level.

If we just simply bottled our beer when if finished fermenting there would be no CO2 produced to carbonate it to the levels desired and it seem flat. Unless there was a infection that takes hold and the sugars that typically for beer yeast are unfermentable, get fermented by whatever the infection is.

Sanitation of everything used and boiling our wort play a big part in beer making to ensure that we minimize the chance of something other than the yeast we use getting into our beer.

A hydrometer is generally what we use to check SG. They don't cost much at all.

Don't know what of any of this applies to KVASS.

Last edited:
What kind of kvass? I have made beet kvass before but let it ferment longer than 1-3 days, like about 2 weeks or so (haven't made it this year). I would put it in the fridge after that in a mason jar with a screw on lid and did not have any issues with it (burp it once in a while).

Put the sugar in right before drinking?

Sulfites I think are used to slow/stop fermenation when making wine and in other fermented beverages. I haven't used them to do that myself so I can't advise on it.

Drink it all faster;).

I use this type of recipe per 1 liter (0.26gallons):
  • 100g. bread
  • 1L water
  • 70g. sugar
  • 10g. raisins

In the end, for the second fermentaiton I want to add lets say 70gramms of sugar per 1LITER, and I want yeast to east around ~40-50 gramms of sugar and leave remaining 20-30gramms for the drink.

So is there a way I could add ~40-50 gramms of sugar for the yeast, wait till they eat it and dies and then add remaining 20-30gramms?

Back