Extended mash on Eherms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was planning an early morning brew day tomorrow, well some things came up and it might get pushed back. So I am aware of ppl doing overnight mashes to save brewday time. My typical brewday start to finish including cleanup is 6hours. 6 hours of pure joy. But any how, my thought is to mash in before I leave for work so when I get home I can finish the brew day before the kids go to bed. Or atleast before I fall asleep. So have never done anything more then a 90 minute mash, I'll be at work for 9 hours or more, I use a spike 3v2p eherms and brew 15 gallon batches. Any words of advice will be appreciated. Like should I set my mash temp and recirculate the entire time? My utility company will appreciate it haha..

Your mash conversion will continue until the enzymes are denatured. Depending on the quality of the crush, that may take less than the 90 minutes. From then on not much will happen except some evaporation.

Haha, yeah, I hope not. So basically I can let the thing run til I get home and mash out? Nothing to worry about? There are no dark adjuncts or anything like that, mash temp typically 152 ish.. ph 5.2 .. do I need to worry about that at all? Or is my only thing to worry about my electric bill?

Mash out is to denature the enzymes. If you have any enzymes active or anything for the enzymes to act on after a 6 hour mash I would be rather surprised.
Mash out can also accelerate starch gelatinization, if there is any ungelatinized starch left at the end of the rest at mash temps. Especially for coarse crushes, this can improve conversion efficiency. But, after a 9 hour mash, this is not going to be a factor.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back