Stinky lager at kegging- RDWHAHB? Or…?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
Made a Vienna SMASH 6 weeks ago, fermented under pressure with a fermzilla. Left in the fermenter until today

Kegged it today, thought nothing of it, final gravity was good, the sample tasted fine, but when I went to vent the keg to purge the O2 out of the keg- it smelled ROTTEN.

I sanitized the keg with 1step before filling, which had been cleaned with 1step when it had been emptied. I had stored the keg open, to let it air out, for about 4-6 weeks in my basement.

I know the old mantra, RDWHAHB, I’ve HAHB or 2, but I can’t R and DW about it yet.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this where it didn’t end in dumping 4.5 gallons of beer?

Thanks!

It's the sulfur produced by lager yeast, so totally normal. Sulfur is volatile and blows off. A couple of ways to get rid of it;
1. Stir it with a carb stone, the co2 will scrub it out
2. Shake it and release the gas, re-carb, shake and release, rinse lather repeat.

It's the sulfur produced by lager yeast, so totally normal. Sulfur is volatile and blows off. A couple of ways to get rid of it;
1. Stir it with a carb stone, the co2 will scrub it out
2. Shake it and release the gas, re-carb, shake and release, rinse lather repeat.

What he said! Completely normal!

Phew!!
I’ve had sulfur smells during lager fermentation- and I know that’s stinky- I just didn’t know it could stick around after fermentation was complete!

I’m assuming it could be that when fermented under pressure, the sulfur gets trapped in the liquid, and when it decarbonates a little from closed transferring it can come out of solution?

But thanks again guys! I can now relax and not worry, and of course, enjoy a home brew!

Back