How do you get dried keg lube off of O-rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I love my keg lube, it's dramatically decreased the number of leaks I've found in my kegging system. The only problem is after a few batches, the main lid O-ring gets crusted over with dried-up keg lube, and I end up just replacing it out of fear that the crust will compromise the seal. I've tried soaking them in hot water, scrubbing them with a sponge, washing with PBW, but I haven't found a way to get all the gunk off and return the O-ring to pristine condition. Is there a secret to cleaning dried up keg lube off of O-rings, or is it just standard practice to replace the main lid O-ring every few batches?

what kind of lube are you using? it really shouldn't get that dry and crusty.

lube should stay moist... well i won't turn this into a sex talk!!

+1 to JDGator.

If your keg love is drying and crusting, you have something else in that tube/tub. Keg lube is a silicon based product that doesn't have any water in it to dry out.

You may have crusted, dried on beer or cleaner. As brew_ny posted, drop the ring in hot water for a few minutes and then wipe the crud off.

BTW - the lube is not supposed to act as a "shim" or spacer to achieve seal. The lube is a protectant for the gasket/o ring and should be smeared in in a very thin film.

I'm with those above, I've never had silicone lube dry out. Confirm that you are using silicone keg lube. If you aren't then it's an easy and cheap switch. If you are using silicone lube then something else is making the crust form. A soak in 160 degree PBW will remove darned near anything.

Back