How Do I Degas This Thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spillsaw

Reaction score
My other corneys have A ring I pull up on when I seat the lid. This one does not. Is the ring missing or do I do something different to remove the oxygen on this one?

image-3957585698.jpg

IIRC pinlocks cannot be vented

EDIT: sry it does look like a ball lock but ive only seen those blowoff valves on pinlocks that cant be vented

Create a co2 line with a liquid connect. This will add the co2 from the bottom (it will flow through the beer) and you can depress the gas poppet to let air out.

Simple.

Connect Gas
Disconnect gas and depress poppet
Connect Gas
Disconnect gas and depress poppet
Connect Gas

Keg is purged, Lid is seated, ready to carb and enjoy.

Yea, it's missing the pressure relieve valve. Maybe put a picnic tap on a gas disconnect, and purge that way. Costs you about $10 and a few minutes. Pain in the azz tho.

It's not missing the valve; pin locks just don't have a manual release on the pressure relief valve, but they will still vent dangerous pressure.

My other corneys have A ring I pull up on when I seat the lid. This one does not. Is the ring missing or do I do something different to remove the oxygen on this one?

View attachment 72554

You have a pin lock keg lid. Your only option is to depress the poppet on the gas side. I have several converted pin lock to ball lack kegs and I am too cheap to pay the $17 to get a ringed lid. You can use a small screwdriver or pen. If you force carb and there is a chance of beer sitting in the gas tube then grab a towel and protect yourself when depressing the poppet. Not the most convenient method but I am cheap and it works. Just don't depress the liquid line. That is alcohol abuse.

It's not missing the valve; pin locks just don't have a manual release on the pressure relief valve, but they will still vent dangerous pressure.

Damn damn. I looked at that disconnect and thought it was a ball lock. I only have about 20 of the things, you'd think I could tell the diff. Sorry, I'm an idiot, and I'm gonna slink away now.

IIRC pinlocks cannot be vented

EDIT: sry it does look like a ball lock but ive only seen those blowoff valves on pinlocks that cant be vented

One of the online keg suppliers' ball lock kegs are all pin locks with new ball lock posts, so you end up with the pin lock pressure release and ball lock posts.

Damn damn. I looked at that disconnect and thought it was a ball lock. I only have about 20 of the things, you'd think I could tell the diff. Sorry, I'm an idiot, and I'm gonna slink away now.

Cease your slinking, I think it is ball lock posts with pin lock lid.

If you have the Monet, you can buy a special too to connect the keg that will Degas that for you.

You have nothing Toulouse!

AndrewD said:

It looks that way to me. Adventures in Homebrewing has been selling 4-keg packs like these (for a pretty good price!). Good advice on depressing the gas in pin to vent/purge, works great. I'd use a pen or wood dowel to avoid scratching the post or the poppet, which could happen with a screwdriver...

I see Santa Rosa and I think geeze I could go for a Sift cup cake right now. Thanks a lot, now I need to make a road trip..... but Moylans is on the way...... Can't pass Lagunitas...... ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's coming with me?

both of my pin locks have pressure relief pins. in your case i would either buy the pressure relief plastic tool that midwest sells to purge the gas or use a picnic tap to purge the gas

It looks that way to me. Adventures in Homebrewing has been selling 4-keg packs like these (for a pretty good price!). Good advice on depressing the gas in pin to vent/purge, works great. I'd use a pen or wood dowel to avoid scratching the post or the poppet, which could happen with a screwdriver...

I use a thin towel with the screwdriver. But I agree you should not go metal to metal. I got blasted once and that was enough.

If you have the Monet, you can buy a special too to connect the keg that will Degas that for you.

You have nothing Toulouse!

Oh no. God help me, but I took a humanities course in college that covered only French Impressionists in that time period. And I did the literal LOL at that.

I'm sorry. :drunk:

I see Santa Rosa and I think geeze I could go for a Sift cup cake right now. Thanks a lot, now I need to make a road trip..... but Moylans is on the way...... Can't pass Lagunitas...... ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's coming with me?

Sift is good, but Foxy Cupcakes is better (but harder to get).

RoughandReadyRanch said:

Don't forget some Pliny the Younger and Racer X! :ban:

I finally got around to checking out if a pin lock gas post depressor tool would work on a ball lock post (one of these: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=484) -- works like a charm. Of course, so does a pen, carefully wielded screwdriver, etc... and those most of us have around without spending $1-$3.

Screw driver or something similar works well. Be carful of damage of tower or poppet though. (grind off end off old screw driver so its flat.)

Back