How can I thicken my stout up a bit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
Just got done making a 1G recipe i made myself for a chocolate stout using all grain brew in bag. It came out pretty well! An was pretty easy and actually gave me about 8 bombers ( i guess my calculation might have been a bit off for 1G ) but here is my recipe below:
Mash Boil & Fermentation
• 1.75 lbs Maris Otter
• 3 oz Chocolate Malt
• 2 oz Torrified Wheat
• 2 oz Caramunich Malt
• 1.5 oz Roasted Barley
Mash Profile:
• 161°F (strike temp)
• 156°F (steep temp)
• 60 minute steep
• 11.3 quarts (10.7 litres)
Mash Out:
• 168°F (7 minutes)
90 minutes
• 0.20 oz Northern Brewer
(8.5%)
• 15 minutes
• 30 g cocoa powder
• American Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1056)

Flaked Oats in the mash will add a thicker mouthfeel. Carapils doesn't seem to do this for me, it just adds head retention. Serving it in a keg with Nitro is the best way but most brewers don't have this option

Sodium and chlorides. But keep sulfate low when using sodium. Mash higher. Alcohol. Lots of cara foam.

Maybe a less attenuating yeast. Lower the carbonation a bit can help add to the mouthfeel. You don't have a whole lot of roasted grain but they can give a sense of dryness to a beer.

My "secret" ingredient for the perfect body and head in a stout is flaked barley. It gives the perfect consistency, and makes a rocky head. It gives some rich body without being too full or thick.

I'd go with .20-.25 pound.

I recommend using the kbs stout recipe the brewers released, but I know that doesnt answer your question. That said I noticed the recipe is similar to yours but calls for flaked oats. That plus knowing yooper as a very trusted source for all things fermented, I think flaked barely is exactly what you are looking for.

My stouts gain apparent body after some time in the bottle. I've learned that I like my stouts much better at 6 months than 3 weeks. A high gravity stout will take even longer.

As an aside, you don't need to do a mash out with BIAB nor with a conventional tun unless you are fly sparging and even then it is of limited usefulness. With BIAB, when the mash is done, just pull the bag to drain and start heating the wort. That accomplishes the same thing, denaturing the enzymes quickly.

you guys don't read, common beginners forum, 1 gallon batch

You think that 1/5 of a pound of flaked barley is too much for a one gallon batch? I think I'd go with the .25 pound in the recipe, actually. It would really fill out the mouthfeel and body, which is what he's asking for.

You think that 1/5 of a pound of flaked barley is too much for a one gallon batch? I think I'd go with the .25 pound in the recipe, actually. It would really fill out the mouthfeel and body, which is what he's asking for.
So try adding .20 lbs of some oats or flaked barely? That should do the trick?

Honestly i kinda like it super thick. I'm not sure this will thicken it up enough or not

Back