How big of an Erlenmeyer flask do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make five gallon batches and I like making big beers. Would 2L be ok?

2l is generally fine for most ales. high gravity beers and lagers benefit from larger starters. I use my 5L flask for anything over 1.070 and all lagers.

I have both a 2 L and a 5 L. I haven't used the 2 L in years. Go big, IMO.

However... the 2 L fit in the fridge for cold crashing. I bought a 5 gal drink cooler for the 5 L. Well worth it to me.

I also make large starters and reserve a quart for the next batch. And I make 7+ gal batches, so that influences size for me.

100ml, 250ml, 1L, 2L, 5L will give you a nice setup. Also good to have some graduated cylinders handy for more accurate measures IMO.

Definitely check out Cynmar before purchasing. I got a heavy duty wide-mouth 2L Pyrex (or some other brand of good borosilicate) flask for less than $20.

I find it's good to have a 250 ml flask too. It's great for stepping up bottle dregs or for step 2 after taking yeast off a slant.

I see that Amazon has them for under $20 as well.

Do you guys prefer narrow or wide mouth flasks?

I have both a 2 L and a 5 L. I haven't used the 2 L in years. Go big, IMO.

However... the 2 L fit in the fridge for cold crashing. I bought a 5 gal drink cooler for the 5 L. Well worth it to me.

I also make large starters and reserve a quart for the next batch. And I make 7+ gal batches, so that influences size for me.
Same here. I've saved more money on yeast with my 5L flask than I thought I would. I buy yeast, make big starters and put 3-4 jars in the fridge for the next few brews. Drink and repeat!

I have a 2L but with I had got a 5. Also make sure you have a powerful enough stirplate if you go with the larger flask.

Personally, I just have a 2L. It works fine for the vast majority of what I brew and fits in the fridge. That's really the limiting factor for me. I don't want liters of starter dumped into my wort, so I need to be able to cold crash it.

On the rare occasions that I need more yeast, I'll just reuse a chunk of yeast cake from a normal beer.

I have both a 2 and a 5 and I actually routinely use both of them. The 2 is great for my picobrew, especially since it takes up less space in my fridge while cold crashing, while the 5 gets used every time I'm making up yeast for my 10 gallon batches. I also use both in succession when stepping up yeast from a slant/harvested from a bottle, along with a mason jar for the first couple of steps.

Get the 5L. A 2L flask doesn't fit a 2L starter very well. And with a big beer you will need at least 2L starters.

Stepped starters would work, but what a pain...

Get the 5L. A 2L flask doesn't fit a 2L starter very well. And with a big beer you will need at least 2L starters.

Stepped starters would work, but what a pain...
I agree with this, the best I can do in a 2L flask is 1.5 without it blowing yeast everywhere, and even then, it can still makes a mess.

I'm still happy with my 2L Simax flask and I do 5 gal batches. But hey, I'm still a newbie, so I might be wrong :)

Don't you guys use fermcap? I can do a 2L in a 2L flask with no blowoff. When I forget, however, umm, yeah. Big freaking mess.

I guess it depends on what kind of brewing you do. I make almost exclusively average gravity beers, so I almost never need more than 1L of starter. The rare lager I make gets 34/70.

If you make bigger beers or lagers with liquid yeast, then the big flask makes sense.

I find that my 2L is plenty. I do larger starters - 2l or less 75% of the time. 20% are for my frozen yeast that start from 5ml samples. These have to be stepped. The remaining 5% are stepped from packs/vials and need to be big for lagers and high gravity ales. I don't need a 5L for the 5% of the starters that I make that could be in one.

That said, I would like to have one for those occasions....

Thanks for all that feedback! I've seen flasks that are narrow mouth and wide mouth. Which do you guys have?

I have a wide mouth flask. Easier to pour stuff in without a funnel. I know the purpose of the Erlenmeyer is to reduce contamination risk with the narrow mouth, but the wider mouth has never led to an infection IME.

Thanks for all that feedback! I've seen flasks that are narrow mouth and wide mouth. Which do you guys have?

Narrow. I thought that was the norm. I use a funnel to pour in the starter and sanitized tin foil to cover the opening.

2L is okay for most ales. 5L is needed for lagers. Do youself a favor and use a small stainless non-clad bottom stock pot with a lid instead of that $60 5L flask. I'd almost recommend that for 2L flasks as well, but they are cheap enough.

As long as the vessel is flat bottom and non-magnetic is works fine. You can buy a gallon or two pot at a dollar store that will work, or certainly a cheap department store. If it doesn't come with a lid, then use a glass plate from your kitchen as the lid... This is what I do when I make 5+L starters (you can go bigger this way and that's more better, dontcha know)...

I have brewed nearly 70 beers and have only used 1L flask, but I don't do lagers and if I need a bigger starter (rarely do I), I just cold crash, decant and step up.

I use wide mouth for things like Brett and Sacc since oxygen helps promote growth but I use narrow for Lacto/Pedio so I can more easily keep oxygen out with a stopper.

I have a 2 liter and a 4 liter flask. I use the 4 liter all the time for my 11 gallon batches. I make 2.5 liter starters and up, depending on the gravity. The 4 liter also still fits on my stir plate, which helps in that I didn't have to buy another bigger one. This is what works for me....

John

Back