House yeast strain using starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
I am pretty low tech but I am very curious about making a house yeast mix. If I make a yeast starter with 3 different yeasts and use the slurry to make more and more starters, would this create a unique flavor over time? If I just leave the starter constantly going in my fridge then wouldn’t something interesting happen eventually (possibly mutations)? Or am I better off measuring a set amount of dry yeast for each batch? Thank you!

The original ratio won't be maintained in subsequent fermentations/generations. Some strains will outgrow others, and chances are one will eventually crowd all others out.

Best to grow each individual strain separately and blend them upon pitching in whatever ratio you envision will be optimal for that environment.
You may get 2 and perhaps a few more successive generations from that first mix that actually show improved performance and flavor over the original mix. But it would be hard to find out which ratio they're at. Even under a microscope, most sacc strains look very similar.

The original ratio won't be maintained in subsequent fermentations/generations. Some strains will outgrow others, and chances are one will eventually crowd all others out.

Best to grow each individual strain separately and blend them upon pitching in whatever ratio you envision will be optimal for that environment.
You may get 2 and perhaps a few more successive generations from that first mix that actually show improved performance and flavor over the original mix. But it would be hard to find out which ratio they're at. Even under a microscope, most sacc strains look very similar.
Interesting, thank you for the response! I think I’m just gonna start measuring out a few different dry yeasts to find a nice blend.

Back