Hornindal Kveik is blowing my mind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recommendation. Would you say use the entire pack and pitch the entire starter? Would that be an over pitch for Kveik? Thanks!

I would pitch the entire pack for the starter.

As for pitching the entire starter, that’s up to you. You’re supposed to underpitch kveik yeasts, but I’d like to see a side-by-side comparison before going in on that 100%.

Can anyone recommend pitching amounts for Voss Kveik? The package is unopened from November 2018. 10 gallon batch of 1.050 OG and looking for pronounced orange esters. Thanks
I pitched 1 tsp straight from the pack (this is the generally advised pitching rate if you want to bring out the ester flavors) into 5 gallons of 1.052 APA, it was down to 1.010 within 48 hours. Surprisingly clean tasting.

I would pitch the entire pack for the starter.

As for pitching the entire starter, that’s up to you. You’re supposed to underpitch kveik yeasts, but I’d like to see a side-by-side comparison before going in on that 100%.

I agree and would like to experiment with that. Thanks

I pitched 1 tsp straight from the pack (this is the generally advised pitching rate if you want to bring out the ester flavors) into 5 gallons of 1.052 APA, it was down to 1.010 within 48 hours. Surprisingly clean tasting.

I think I would do the same if the pack wasn’t so old. Looks like the best option is to make a 1l starter and pitch half or a quarter.

20190616_111309.jpg
My most recent NEIPA with Hornindal...turned out great

Yeah... I dunno guys. I did a NEIPA with this, fermented at 95 degrees the whole time and I am getting a bitterness that is not present in the split batch fermented with 1318. I am not getting the pineapple flavors and the hops seem muted. I wanted to try it. The beer is good, but I am unsatisfied. Thanks for the feedback on the yeast. I always like using new yeast varieties.

Yeah... I dunno guys. I did a NEIPA with this, fermented at 95 degrees the whole time and I am getting a bitterness that is not present in the split batch fermented with 1318. I am not getting the pineapple flavors and the hops seem muted. I wanted to try it. The beer is good, but I am unsatisfied. Thanks for the feedback on the yeast. I always like using new yeast varieties.

Did you DH at 95? I alway drop the temp down before DH, the idea of DHing at 90-100 never sit well with me. Might be where get the bitterness from.

Sunday, opened a 3.38oz pack of Omega Hornindal, separated it into 6 Tupperware containers, roughly 1/2 oz each. This probably got me 1tsp pure yeast in each vial.....
How did you do the seperation? Did you just separated it into 6 containers and then put the lid on it or did you poor something on top of it, and if yes what did you use?
I am getting a pack in the mail today and want to do the same you did, but never done something like this before.

Did you DH at 95? I alway drop the temp down before DH, the idea of DHing at 90-100 never sit well with me. Might be where get the bitterness from.

Yeah, I dropped the dry hops in 24 hours after fermentation. I suppose I could get some bitterness with that.... not a lot though. I generally get an insignificant amount of bitterness when I whirlpool at 140*. So I cant imagine the extraction would have been that great.

Yeah, I dropped the dry hops in 24 hours after fermentation. I suppose I could get some bitterness with that.... not a lot though. I generally get an insignificant amount of bitterness when I whirlpool at 140*. So I cant imagine the extraction would have been that great.
Did you use Australian Or NZ hops strains? If so it could be the hopbite your experiencing, hops from those regions have an elevated polyphenol content and it will come off astringent until it conditions long enough in the kegs

Question for those of you who do a NEIPA with this yeast. When you're doing the dry hop, are you moving the fermenter into a temp controlled environment are you are you still just leaving it out? It's summer in Texas and while I have a ferm chamber, I also have an uninsulated garage that this yeast would be perfect for.

How did you do the seperation? Did you just separated it into 6 containers and then put the lid on it or did you poor something on top of it, and if yes what did you use?
I am getting a pack in the mail today and want to do the same you did, but never done something like this before.
All I did was shake the pack well, snip a corner, and pour it into 6 equal amounts, nothing more. Then when you go to pitch, just take one out shake it up, and pitch. The containers are shown in my second pic in the post.

Did you use Australian Or NZ hops strains? If so it could be the hopbite your experiencing, hops from those regions have an elevated polyphenol content and it will come off astringent until it conditions long enough in the kegs
The hop bill was Citra Denali and El Dorado.... Heavier on the Denali to pop out the pineapple. I thought maybe it was hop bite, but the split batch I did was the same hops, though heavier on Citra than Denali. No bitterness there. I am thinking if I just let it be for a couple of days it will settle down a bit. But for the initial impression.... I wasn't a fan.

Question for those of you who do a NEIPA with this yeast. When you're doing the dry hop, are you moving the fermenter into a temp controlled environment are you are you still just leaving it out? It's summer in Texas and while I have a ferm chamber, I also have an uninsulated garage that this yeast would be perfect for.

I left mine at 95 the whole time.

Anyboy adding juniper to your beer? Somewhere I read that Kveik beers can have juniper in them.

I bought some at the LHBS. Now to figure how much to use.

According to my BYO Brewing Spices Spreadsheet it says the following;

Juniper in Berry form vs leaves.
- 0.2 oz max for 5 gallons
- Used in Boil
- 60 minutes

Looks like I have a bunch. At least 5 batches if I use the max.
IMG_20190620_125913.jpeg

Just pitched an 8 month+ old pouch of Imperial Loki (kviek) that had been in the fridge the entire time on a 1.062 5.5 gal amber extract brew at 90F on Sunday. Temperature is varying between 78 and 82 each day and entertaining the hell out of customers in our store as it burps right along. It is beginning to slow down now on the 6th day...... I think the aging is a substitute for reduction in volume. It's our first usage in anything other than a NEIPA.....curious as to what flavor it will impart.

Anyboy adding juniper to your beer? Somewhere I read that Kveik beers can have juniper in them.

Kveik is a yeast, not a beer... But the use of European juniper, Juniperus communis, is common in Scandinavian brewing, albeit a relatively recent innovation. Farmhouse brewers use a juniper tea as their version of Starsan, and they use branches of it as a filter. But that doesn't mean they're adding juniper berries. Lars Garshol is your man for all this stuff :

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/368.html
http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/324.html

Kveik is a yeast, not a beer... But the use of European juniper, Juniperus communis, is common in Scandinavian brewing, albeit a relatively recent innovation. Farmhouse brewers use a juniper tea as their version of Starsan, and they use branches of it as a filter. But that doesn't mean they're adding juniper berries. Lars Garshol is your man for all this stuff :

Thanks.. yeah I know it's a yeast. I have a pack of Hornindal that I bought from you guys. Like the idea that I can dry flakes of it after it's done.

Trying to figure out what to make. Thinking smash. I thought I read something from Lars about juniper. Thanks for the links.

Also like the idea of a Kveik Ring!!! It sediments on that surface area of the ring. In theory you could use wood chips and top crop those chips, air dry ,and re-pitch those chips in the next batch. Repeat over and over. The chips being the carrier of Kveik.

I found this yeast to mute my hop character a little in terms of aroma and later hop additions. The yeast really shines. I fermented warm- keeping it between 95-100F. I dry hopped at a lower temperature around 70F. I don’t feel that the yeast added any bitterness, more that it mutes it slightly

Last edited:
Thanks.. yeah I know it's a yeast. I have a pack of Hornindal that I bought from you guys. Like the idea that I can dry flakes of it after it's done.

Trying to figure out what to make. Thinking smash. I thought I read something from Lars about juniper. Thanks for the links.

I used juniper branches in mine - eastern red cedar (they are down right invasive here in Oklahoma). I replaced my mash filter with a bed of small branches, it ended up working but it was a PITA, the branches want to float. It was also a raw ale so I steeped some hops and more juniper in the wort as I brought it up to 180* to pasteurize. The fermentation smelled like oranges and Christmas trees, the Christmas tree flavor did not come through into to the final beer. The final product tasted like oranges with a blueberry like aroma and flavor (the yeast biotransformed the juniper maybe?) Some juniper is toxic so beware.

You mean member Northern Brewer with the tagline "British - apparently some US company stole my name." ;)

Going thru this thread now for recommendations/experience using Kviek strains for ciders/cysers.
I always assumed it was a business handle. LoL....

Not sure how long I thought that. My guess he could really mess with people. Like offering big discounts on sculpture rigs. Specifically on 4/1.

I always assumed it was a business handle. LoL....

Not sure how long I thought that. My guess he could really mess with people. Like offering big discounts on sculpture rigs. Specifically on 4/1.

Except I would give the game away by offering them on 1/4....

But seriously, I'm not into that kind of game. I genuinely hadn't even heard of the US company when I first started using the name, which is a nod to both a literal description of me and the Wye hop, and watched on with some bemusement as it got taken over by ABI and started on the path to world domination!

I had my doubts on this yeast since with A24 I can’t reach FG in 3 days. Well I pitch half the pack of the yeast at 4:00pm EST and just over 3 hrs later
BC3D3CF6-BA98-4D5A-809E-C41804E50901.jpeg

For the secondary fermentation.
That is what I normally do, after primary, siphon it into another fermenter(bucket) to get the beer off of the dead yeast at the bottom.

Yeast is not dead and you certainly don't need secondary. Transferring the beer and moving it around will only increase the risk of oxidation. Leave it in primary and package directly from the fermenter ( keg, bottles, cans ).

That is what I normally do, after primary, siphon it into another fermenter(bucket) to get the beer off of the dead yeast at the bottom.
I stopped doing secondary about 5 years ago. That was the biggest improvement I've made in my 22 years of homebrewing. My pale ales and IPAs stopped losing aroma and hops flavor, as well as staying a nice golden color. I don't even put sours in secondary anymore. Just keg after a few months and let sit in kegs until I put them in the keezer.

Echoing the above posters, secondary is more harmful than helpful.

To answer your question, you can probably package at 48 hours but that seems a bit rushed to me (and possibly risky if you experience an “abnormal” kveik fermentation).

Does Hornindal drop clear in the keg if you use finings? I see a lot of cloudy NEIPAs in this thread which all look very tasty but I was wondering if this Kveik could also be used in styles where clarity is appropriate like a Kolsch or pseudo-lager. Anyone out there brewing crystal clear beer with Hornindal?

Does Hornindal drop clear in the keg if you use finings? I see a lot of cloudy NEIPAs in this thread which all look very tasty but I was wondering if this Kveik could also be used in styles where clarity is appropriate like a Kolsch or pseudo-lager. Anyone out there brewing crystal clear beer with Hornindal?
Yeah it’s medium to high flocc so it should clear up fine. NEIPA are hazy due to mixture of grain choice, hopping, and process.

So I’ve looked over this thread, and am not sure if I have over looked this. Im brewing a “Belgian” Pale Ale using Belgian Pilsner and Motueka/Nelson Sauvin hops next weekend. I would like to use one of the Omega strains for a clean fermentation. Im looking for minimal yeast character, maybe a hint of citrus if anything. I have temp control, so 90+ degree temps are not an issue. Just looking for advice on Voss/Hornindal/Hothead and pitching amount to achieve a clean fermentation. Thank you in advance!

So I’ve looked over this thread, and am not sure if I have over looked this. Im brewing a “Belgian” Pale Ale using Belgian Pilsner and Motueka/Nelson Sauvin hops next weekend. I would like to use one of the Omega strains for a clean fermentation. Im looking for minimal yeast character, maybe a hint of citrus if anything. I have temp control, so 90+ degree temps are not an issue. Just looking for advice on Voss/Hornindal/Hothead and pitching amount to achieve a clean fermentation. Thank you in advance!
Will not be clean at that temp, big ester profile. Use a typical clean yeast and ferment at 65

Will not be clean at that temp, big ester profile. Use a typical clean yeast and ferment at 65

To piggyback on this. Kviek will ferment pretty clean at 68-75F. Only issue I’ve had is clarity with the Voss strain. Its a medium flocculation so to be expected. Horindal is a bit better in that respect. Otherwise do what Dgallo suggested.

To piggyback on this. Kviek will ferment pretty clean at 68-75F. Only issue I’ve had is clarity with the Voss strain. Its a medium flocculation so to be expected. Horindal is a bit better in that respect. Otherwise do what Dgallo suggested.

Used Hornidal for my latest batch of rasberry ale, and while there were some esters, they were minimal.

I fermented a full pouch at 70 for 4 days. Dropped clear by day 3 and surprisingly clean, just a hunt of citrus that will go great with the raspberries added.

After my next few batches I have planned I'm thinking of trying this with a very simple cream ale or low hop smash be see how it can preform personally.

Im brewing a “Belgian” Pale Ale using Belgian Pilsner and Motueka/Nelson Sauvin hops next weekend. I would like to use one of the Omega strains for a clean fermentation. Im looking for minimal yeast character, maybe a hint of citrus if anything. I have temp control

I don’t understand- you have access to temperature control and you want to brew a Belgian-style beer, so why on earth would you want to use a non-phenolic yeast like the Omega kveiks? Pretty much by definition , a Belgian beer requires a significant contribution from a phenolic yeast, otherwise it’s not Belgian.

Having said that, if you want clean then you want Hothead, and fermenting cooler will always be cleaner than fermenting warm, but it seems you don’t actually want to make Belgian beer.

Back