Hops in the primary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffcoat

Reaction score
So about 2 weeks ago I picked up the Brewers Best hopnog kit, their special holiday kit this year. In the kit they gave you 3oz of "experimental" hops to do whatever you wanted. I decided I was going to continuously hop for 60 mins. Maybe my version of DFH's 60 min IPA. After I brewed an put it in the primary I intentionally left some hops in there. I took a grab reading today, after I "punched" a hole through the hop layer on top. Spot on. Just gonna give it another week in the primary then move to the bucket to bottle. Here is my question...should I try to remove the spent hops from the top or just rack under them and hope no little hop bits makes it into my siphon and into the bucket.

By the way the beer smelled amazing. I really hope it tastes just as good. I figure another week then 3 to bottle condition I should be cracking them open on Christmas day.

Oh I should mention these were whole hops not pellets.

Thanks!

You could cold crash it to have everything settle to the bottom (if you have fridge space) siphoning from under the hop layer should be perfectly fine bit you may have hop particles on suspension that will end up in the bottles, but that will settle out over time as well.

When I use whole hops in the fermenter, I put a screen around my racking cane to prevent them from clogging the siphon. Works great.

I use the 5 gallon paint straining bags from Lowes/HD. They are very useful, you can sanitize them and re-use them. I also use them for BIAB.

I never thought about using my straining bags around the siphon. Thanks for the replies guys. I've said it once and Im happy to say it again, this site is the best and has the most knowledgeable people on it.

Back