Hops and filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying this out (I'm not sure if others have tried). I am going to build a filtration system, using those sink filter systems, so I can filter my beers out, but I was wondering about hopping. I was planning to dry hop, but I was wondering if others have just simply jammed a bunch of hops into the inside of the filter cartridge and ran their beer through it at a couple PSI cold.

Would this forego the need to dry hop for a week? Would hop character be the same or different than dry hopping? I'm planning to just jam a few ounces of leaf hops into the filter and run the full 5 gallons through.

It would appear that way. I wasn't sure what a hop back was till I looked into it. I just picked up a couple filter housings and figure I'll use one just for hopping.

Pretty much like that. I knew about the Randall but completely forgot about it when I thought of the idea. Must have been something subconscious. I just put one together. Not quite as fancy as the one in the link you posted or the actual Randall, but it should get the job done. I'm going to try it in lieu of dry hopping.

Back