Hops Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1979

Reaction score
I tend to like what I will call European style ales. I have made a batch of Dortmunder Export, Kolsch and Dutch Style (Heinie) and I like them all. Most of these recipes lean heavily on Hallertau hops. Now I want to experiment. What I want is one of these styles with a bit of floral or sweet taste and aroma. I was thinking of using the Hallertau for bittering but Cascade for flavor and aroma. I wonder what it would turn out like.

Thoughts?

I'd stay away from anything with citrus in its description. Fuggle, Sterling, Saaz, Spalt would all work.

Yeah, if you're wanting to stick with the generally continental style beers, Cascade probably isn't what you're looking for.

Saaz, Tettnang and other central European noble hops might be possibilities to look into.

david 42 has it right. My first thoughts were Sterling and Saaz as well. I know it is not exactly to style, but I use a blend of Wilamette and Sterling in my Kolsch recipie.

Ok. Thanks fellas. I'll consider your suggestions and ditch the cascade idea. I have not experimented much at all so I'm going on written descriptions about the hops, hence the request for advice. Thanks again.

Dennis

I suggest doing 5 one-gallon batches using the same yeast and grain bill, but using different flavor and aroma hops. That's the best way to determine where your preferences lie. I'd do Halltertauer, Cascade, Saaz, Tettnanger, Spalt and Mt. Hood or Liberty.

I suggest doing 5 one-gallon batches using the same yeast and grain bill, but using different flavor and aroma hops. That's the best way to determine where your preferences lie. I'd do Halltertauer, Cascade, Saaz, Tettnanger, Spalt and Mt. Hood or Liberty.

Hmmm, interesting idea. How would you do that? Take your ingredients and cut everything into 5th's and do 5 boils?

Back