Hoppy Pils - But Which Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simcoepirate

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m looking to brew a hoppy pilsner soon, aiming for around 35 IBU and utilising a subtle whirlpool and dry hop.

5 gallon batch, looking to use up some hops I have on hand, just not sure which ones...

I have:
100g/3.5oz German Perle (fresh pack)
75g/2.6oz Mandarina Barvaria
75g/2.6oz Hallertau Blanc

Was thinking of maybe going for the perle in the boil with one of the others for the Whirlpool/DH, but open to suggestions.

I appreciate this isn’t a huge list of hops but I’m more used to brewing IPA styles (although the MB and HB are left over from a really nice saison), I guess I’m just interested I’m the characteristics each hop would bring.

Cheers 🍻

are you wanting something resembling a more traditional pilsner or are you wanting something more fruity like a New Zealand pilsner that showcases modern hop varieties? (I assume the latter based on your hop choices but thought I would check)

I haven't had great luck with Hallertau blanc and I have gotten a rubber cement/muscodine grape flavor from it repeatedly when used as a dry hop so I shy away from it

are you wanting something resembling a more traditional pilsner or are you wanting something more fruity like a New Zealand pilsner that showcases modern hop varieties? (I assume the latter based on your hop choices but thought I would check)

I haven't had great luck with Hallertau blanc and I have gotten a rubber cement/muscodine grape flavor from it repeatedly when used as a dry hop so I shy away from it

I suppose unintentionally a NZ Pilsner! 😅 I’m not a huge lager drinker but want try making something refreshing with just a bit of a fruity/floral hit.

Interesting on the Hallertau Blanc, if I’m honest my initial thought was to go with the Perle and Mandarina so I guess you’re reinforcing my gut feel 😃

I suppose unintentionally a NZ Pilsner! 😅 I’m not a huge lager drinker but want try making something refreshing with just a bit of a fruity/floral hit.

Interesting on the Hallertau Blanc, if I’m honest my initial thought was to go with the Perle and Mandarina so I guess you’re reinforcing my gut feel 😃

I don't think you would hate that combo, I like Mandarina Bavaria, it really does taste like tangerines

Hi All,

I’m looking to brew a hoppy pilsner soon, aiming for around 35 IBU and utilising a subtle whirlpool and dry hop.

5 gallon batch, looking to use up some hops I have on hand, just not sure which ones...

I have:
100g/3.5oz German Perle (fresh pack)
75g/2.6oz Mandarina Barvaria
75g/2.6oz Hallertau Blanc

Was thinking of maybe going for the perle in the boil with one of the others for the Whirlpool/DH, but open to suggestions.

I appreciate this isn’t a huge list of hops but I’m more used to brewing IPA styles (although the MB and HB are left over from a really nice saison), I guess I’m just interested I’m the characteristics each hop would bring.

Cheers 🍻
Thank you for starting this thread! I’m seeing more commercial examples of hoppier pilsners. I’ve tried a few and for the most part they were really good.
Last year I made a batch of pils w three hop additions. The last I used Mandarina. Honestly I just tasted Saaz. I haven’t tried whirlpooling yet.

I have a batch in primary now where the bulk of hops are Saaz and Hallertau Mittelfruh. I did throw .25 oz of Citra at 10 and flame out.

Thank you for starting this thread! I’m seeing more commercial examples of hoppier pilsners. I’ve tried a few and for the most part they were really good.
Last year I made a batch of pils w three hop additions. The last I used Mandarina. Honestly I just tasted Saaz. I haven’t tried whirlpooling yet.

I have a batch in primary now where the bulk of hops are Saaz and Hallertau Mittelfruh. I did throw .25 oz of Citra at 10 and flame out.

Sounds great! I do have plenty of new world hops too, but think I‘ll limit it with European hops for this first attempt.

Currently thinking 30g/1oz for both the whirlpool and the dry hop; hopefully that doesn’t overdo it (it’s tame by my usual standards, at least!).

I just posted this in another thread. I brewed a pretty hoppy German Pils using the recipe below, it came out great. It wasn't a punch in the face with hop flavor, but a very flavorful pilsner. I wouldn't be afraid to use even slightly more hops, or work in some new age hops. I really prefer the noble hop profile in my pilsners personally.

9.75 lb Pilsner Malt (Weyermann floor malted)
1 lb Munich Malt

0.4 oz Warrior 90 min (20 IBU)
1 oz Hallertauer 30 min (9 IBU)
1 oz Tettnang 30 min (11 IBU)
1 oz Hallertauer 0 min
1 oz Tettnang 0 min
1 oz Hallertauer dry hop
1 oz Tettnang dry hop

I just posted this in another thread. I brewed a pretty hoppy German Pils using the recipe below, it came out great. It wasn't a punch in the face with hop flavor, but a very flavorful pilsner. I wouldn't be afraid to use even slightly more hops, or work in some new age hops. I really prefer the noble hop profile in my pilsners personally.

1 lb Munich Malt

1 oz Hallertauer 0 min
1 oz Tettnang 0 min
1 oz Hallertauer dry hop
1 oz Tettnang dry hop
Looks good! So that’s double the quantities on the flameout and dry hop, interesting... Perhaps I’m playing it too safe then!

This one is worth finding if you can, it’s a real case study in blending of styles! Bitburger Triple Hop’d Lager brewed in collaboration with Sierra Nevada. 5.8% ABV, brewed in Germany.

Clean Bitburger German Lager and hoppy American Pale Ale nuances almost going on IPA. Makes it an hoppy lager (IPL??) I suppose. Appearance looks just like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, same color, slight cloudiness. Hops definitely very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but a clean finish as you would expect from a good Lager. Success! A great Hybrid Brew! Delicious!
IMG_2164.JPG

Last edited:
IMO, Mandarina and ditch the dryhop unless you can limit O2, just my opinion. In the majority of my beers, unless IPA obviously, I'm doing late bitter and a whirlpool charge. I'm doing heavier whirlpool charges at lower temps. Only my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I feel like I'm getting what I'm looking for out of these styles. I really like Mandarina in a Kolsch variant I make.

This one is worth finding if you can, it’s a real case study in blending of styles! Bitburger Triple Hop’d Lager brewed in collaboration with Sierra Nevada. 5.8% ABV, brewed in Germany.
Nice! Will definitely keep an eye out for that one; hopefully Brexit won’t spell the end of German beer in the UK! 🤣

IMO, Mandarina and ditch the dryhop unless you can limit O2, just my opinion.
I’ll be fermenting in a unitank and have a “hop dropper” set up, so can definitely limit the O2 👍🏻

Looks like it’s going to be Mandarina in this brew!

I have used Citra with great results in Pilsners and Kolschs. It is crisp and clean like the beers in my opinion.
Also really like Citra pils. And I'm not even a huge fan of Citra, but it just works for me.

I'm really, really digging Calista hops in hoppier pils and IPLs. Had good luck with styrian aurora as well. Enough luck that I'm going to brew it again, anyway.

1 lb Munich Malt

1 oz Hallertauer 0 min
1 oz Tettnang 0 min
1 oz Hallertauer dry hop
1 oz Tettnang dry hop
Did you play with your water profile?

Clean Bitburger German Lager and hoppy American Pale Ale nuances almost going on IPA. Makes it an hoppy lager (IPL??) I suppose. Appearance looks just like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, same color, slight cloudiness. Hops definitely very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but a clean finish as you would expect from a good Lager. Success! A great Hybrid Brew! Delicious!View attachment 714335
I was lucky almost a year ago and found it by accident at a local supermarket. I must agree, a nice beer. Not like those German beer brand wannabe pale ale or ipas that really really suck 95% of the time I try them (Ratsherrenbrauerei you listening? Stick to what you are good at! Lager!), Nope it was a real pleasure to drink it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to source it again afterwards. The supermarket does not stock it anymore.

Check the Socal Pils thread, many examples on what you're trying to do. Just made a Pils w/ some Rice and Zappa, Medusa and Sabro, highly recommend, super lime-y and crushable.

Back