Hop shots are like napalm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
Used my first hop shot. Leassons learned and questions.

Lesson 1: dont put some on your finger and taste it. A bitter explosion that remains on your tinguq for 24 hours.
Lesson 2: careful cleaning that kettle. Some gets left behind and it sticks to everything - the scrubber, the kettle, your skin - its like napalm.

Question - am I doing it wrong? Or is that just the way hop shots go? Tried first 5mL shot dissolved in some hot water. Never really dissolved well. Ruined that cup almost, never did come off ;^) Mixed up with my finger, big mistake. I just put the second one directly in the boil. Additionally, after a 60 minute boil, when cooled there were small black pools of hopshot oil foating around. I think those hopshot oil drops, roaches and microplastics will be around for thousands of years.

Wierd stuff.

I used a CTZ hop shot once. I bet half of it was left behind stuck to everything but the wort.
Went back to bittering hops.
Hella cheaper, work just fine, don't stick to everything and likely more effective - or at least predictable...

Cheers!

Those are the hop resins not the oils. The whole point of having to boil them is to make them water soluble so unfortunately one should expect them to not dissolve well until the boil has worked its magic, which means you're doing nothing wrong but that's how it's supposed to work.
As for the bitterness you should try doing that with pre-isomerized extract, or rather you should definitely NOT. That stuff is so bitter that regular hop extract pales by comparison. Ask me how I know...

Back