Hop Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
I'm trying to clean up some of the mess of my brew day. I have seen several video's where homebrewers are using hop bags. For those of you who use hop bags, what are they exactly? Is there a special product actually called Hop Bags or would a 1 gallon paint strainer work or even a grain sock?

my lhbs just calls them mesh bags. you can use them for grain, hops, whatever. there is a small and a large bag, 50 cents and 75 cents. they are not specialty

Yeah theyre basically muslin bags, similar to the grain bags. Most of the time you can wash and reuse them.

Ive used them for some years now, and like them. I recently built a hop spider, though, and its even better than the individual hop bags!

There are two types of "hop bags", one suitable for whole leaf, the other best used for pellets. The former is a broad weave using cotton or muslin, the latter is a fine nylon mesh (aka "paint strainer"). Both come in various capacities, and both can be re-used...

Cheers!

Back