Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic & olive sourdough. Well, some were garlic only for people who don’t like olives.

1BD436F4-C044-4B0A-A379-8D0EF2A23692.jpg
59379207-A430-49FE-928B-3B71E23F7C99.jpg
IMG_3789.JPG

Took @inkleg’s flour bill and whipped this together last night and baked them this morning.
400g of AP Flour
400g of Bread Flour
200g of Wheat Flour
Those look yummy! I’ve been trying different flour ratios and that has been my favorite so far.
Oh and don’t forget the 19g of salt.........like I might have one time. ;)

Those look yummy! I’ve been trying different flour ratios and that has been my favorite so far.
Oh and don’t forget the 19g of salt.........like I might have one time. ;)

Haha so far I haven’t forgotten the salt but knowing my luck I will very soon. Haha
Yeah it was really good that I made more dough last night and will bake two more loaves today to share with friends we’re are visiting later tonight.

Chocolate banana bread. Subbed an ounce of flour for an ounce of cocoa powder in my usual recipe.

RenderedImage.jpg

Too bad I overcooked and ruined them.

It had been a couple months since I made bread so I took my sour dough starter out of the fridge and brought it back to life. I cooked it on a pizza steel after making pizza. I forgot to turn down the heat after a 10min steam so it got a bit darker than normal.
IMG_1261 - Copy.JPG IMG_1263 - Copy.JPG

This is only the 3rd time I've baked with this sourdough culture but it's doing really well. It started out as some dregs from some wild fermented cider which I built with flour and water over the course of a few weeks. I hadn't baked with it in a while and decided to pull it out of the fridge and was really happy with the results.

I have a full writeup with the recipe, method and more photos here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/10/17/spelt-flour-sourdough-2/

Levain:
  • 22g starter (last fed 12 hours prior)
  • 108g filtered water @ 85-90'F
  • 108g bread flour
Dough:
  • 800g bread flour
  • 90g spelt flour
  • 680g water @ 90-95'F
  • 216g levain
  • 22g sea salt
Method:
  1. Let levain ferment for about 8-10 hours
  2. autolyse flour, water, levain for ~30 minutes
  3. mix salt and perform 3 stretch and folds over the first 3 hours
  4. bulk ferment overnight
  5. 2-4 hour proof depending on ambient temp and sourdough culture
  6. Bake at 450'F in a dutch oven for 38 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered
43267E2.jpg

QonMtcb.jpg

kwpBVRZ.jpg

EDa6X9I.jpg

Plannng on making bread for Thanksgiving, and have a question.
I haven't had a chance to start building a home sourdough starter (just rebuilding dough from a bin a few times get that sour thing started for me...)
I was starting planning on my usual 5 minute artisan bread, but I found at the store a RedStar Platinum Instant Sourdough yeast.
Has anyone used this and with what results?
And more importantly, does anyone know if there is any trace of dairy used in the production of it?
My brother-in-law is extremely allergic to anything with even a trace of dairy, so I'd rather not poison him on the holiday.
I am contacting Redstar as well on this, but I figure I may get a quicker answer here.

Last edited:
How do you store your starter? How long do you find it's good for before it dies off?
If I am going to make bread often I just leave it on the kitchen counter and feed it everyday. If it going to be less often I feed it then just put it into the fridge. Not sure how long it takes to completely die off, but I have revived my starter after almost 9 months I think. The longer it sits in the fridge it just takes a few extra feed cycles to get strong enough to bake with.

If it has been less than a week I use the starter as is, but longer than that I take a little and build/feed it couple times to get it going strong. The starter will get a liquid covering on top of the slurry if left in the fridges for a while but that is OK just spoon out some of the slurry and feed it.

I only store about 100gm worth of starter in a glass jar. I take out/discard all but about 10gm of starter and feed it 50gm water and 50gm of flour. I keep feeding until it can more than double 8hours before using it to bake with. I only feed once a day if it lives on the counters. More frequent feeding is suppose to make a less sour bread.

Plannng on making bread for Thanksgiving, and have a question.
I haven't had a chance to start building a home sourdough starter (just rebuilding dough from a bin a few times get that sour thing started for me...)
I was starting planning on my usual 5 minute artisan bread, but I found at the store a RedStar Platinum Instant Sourdough yeast.
Has anyone used this and with what results?
And more importantly, does anyone know if there is any trace of dairy used in the production of it?
My brother-in-law is extremely allergic to anything with even a trace of dairy, so I'd rather not poison him on the holiday.
I am contacting Redstar as well on this, but I figure I may get a quicker answer here.

I bought a pack of that but haven’t used it. Seems like cheating! (Joke)

Look carefully at the pack. It should say something about allergens like dairy.

I bought a pack of that but haven’t used it. Seems like cheating! (Joke)

Look carefully at the pack. It should say something about allergens like dairy.

I hear that on the cheating - but I haven't had a chance to build a home strain.

For everyone's info, if it matters, I did contact RedStar, and they said that there is no dairy anywhere in the process.

Between getting our kitchen redone and being out of town for two weeks, i hadn't had much of a chance to bake. Now that the kitchen is done and i'm back at home, i needed to get something in the oven!

I went with a standard sourdough with some rye flour thrown in. Full recipe, writeup and more pics here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/12/05/rye-flour-sourdough/

9D59W1u.jpg

Z8APxfj.jpg

H6qboI5.jpg

What a deal? I dont know what I did, but I screqed up the water big time. I think I doubled it. Should have noticed, was rushing. Decided not to panic and added more yeast to the slurry. And salt and malt powder. Made a ton of rolls and still have the full bucket.
20191207_133639.jpeg
20191207_150002.jpeg

More bread! With a bunch of holiday parties around the corner I wanted to make a staple in New Mexico... green chile cheese bread. I have green chile and southwestern cheese both inside and on the top of this loaf.

Full recipe, method and photos here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/12/07/green-chile-cheese-bread/

Recipe

* 450g bread flour
* 50g whole wheat flour
* 390g water
* 11g sea salt
* 2g yeast
* 75g canned hatch green chile
* 85g southwestern sliced cheese, diced
* 35g green chile (for top)
* 2 slices cheese (for top)

msVhJrI.jpg

7fH36CZ.jpg

tJYagdl.jpg

IOZrqA6.jpg

More bread! With a bunch of holiday parties around the corner I wanted to make a staple in New Mexico... green chile cheese bread. I have green chile and southwestern cheese both inside and on the top of this loaf.

Full recipe, method and photos here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/12/07/green-chile-cheese-bread/

That's just amazing and I so love green chilies! Did you use fresh, frozen, or canned chilies? And what is "southwestern cheese"?

That's just amazing and I so love green chilies! Did you use fresh, frozen, or canned chilies? And what is "southwestern cheese"?

I used canned hatch green chile in this one. I freeze my freshly roasted green chile each year in 8oz packets and didn't want to thaw a full one when i only needed less than 150g worth.

'Southwest cheese' was some blend of four different jack and cheddar cheeses. My wife had picked up a packet for something she didn't end up making so I decided to use it in this bread.

I used canned hatch green chile in this one. I freeze my freshly roasted green chile each year in 8oz packets and didn't want to thaw a full one when i only needed less than 150g worth.

'Southwest cheese' was some blend of four different jack and cheddar cheeses. My wife had picked up a packet for something she didn't end up making so I decided to use it in this bread.
Thanks. And thanks for posting the recipe. I have got to give that a try!

0DA1CFD5-EBF2-41F4-80D1-CC7CCBBDE275.jpeg
You need to send your pics to craftbeer.com because yours looks way better!
Awe thanks. The batter is really loose so I think their picture is donut holes a food artist put together. If anyone makes it, don’t bother dipping the dough “balls” in the butter. Dip your fingers in the butter to make the balls because the dough is loose and sticky.

It is very tasty, I would make it again... next year... when there’s more pumpkin beer to be tired of.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back