Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's finally cooled off enough in New Mexico that I felt like I could have the oven running for a couple hours without dying of heat stroke. For my first loaf after a few month hiatus, I added a little bit of black rice flour to my bread flour. The black rice flour gives it a really nice color, texture and flavor.

I have the whole method, schedule and more pics here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/08/12/black-rice-flour-standard-bread/

nvtzSJ8.jpg

Cpvhobv.jpg

jhKRilC.jpg

Could you please post your recipe, looks tasty!!
Sorry for the late reply. I'm still very new to this and don't have a set recipe. I kinda have a base recipe and mix different weights of it.
@TandemTails has a site with great information and recipes. https://alegrebread.com/
The book Flour Water Salt Yeast is a good resource.

The last breads I've made have been with a sourdough starter that I made.
For the levain I use
45g starter
45g UB AP
45g Wheat
90g room temp water

The base dough recipe I've been playing with is
500g AP
275g Bread flour
175g Whole wheat
660g 90-95* water
18g salt

58896107691__29605CD0-F203-46D7-94B7-D513D539968E.JPG

I picked up this book the other day dirt cheap. My oldest and I are trying our hands at the simplest recipe today.
IMG_6779.JPG

Here she is in action this morning. Just put the loaves in the oven. Should be an hour or so till I pull them out to cool. I’ll post a follow up pic later.

View attachment 642330
I picked up this book the other day dirt cheap. My oldest and I are trying our hands at the simplest recipe today.
View attachment 642331
Here she is in action this morning. Just put the loaves in the oven. Should be an hour or so till I pull them out to cool. I’ll post a follow up pic later.
Great information in that book. I have my first levin pizza dough from the book fermenting now.
Will the bread picture include those awesome toenail colors? :D

IMG_6786.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

Cooling time! Can’t wait to taste it.
I bought the cast iron Dutch oven today for this bread (5qt) and borrowed the other one (5.5qt) from a friend. Was looking for a 4qt one b/c that’s what the book recommends but the local store only had the 5qt, so they are a little thinner.
Oh and for you @Inkleg and anyone wondering.
IMG_6760.JPG

My daughters had a salon yesterday and my youngest painted my toe nails. [emoji23]

hi glad to see this forum. I have been a member for a while. I brew beer, smoke meat, make pizza in a wood fired oven and bake bread. This is my third loaf on my sour dough starter. I have made several with my Berlinerwiess beer but decided to switch to a real sourdough.

Attachments

• 9FBBAF74-9836-4F70-988B-B61D172CE848.jpeg
    9FBBAF74-9836-4F70-988B-B61D172CE848.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
IMG_6948.JPG

I think I should have put the pizza dough in a larger bowl. It still has a few hours to go before I pull it, portion it and place the dough balls in the fridge.
Lessons learned.

Back