Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been enjoying everybodys bread. Havent updated in a little while but still making bread. Love that spent grain bread hoppy2bmerry. Need to learn how to make that kind of bread. Hanglow that rye sourdough looks so good. I like the slashing. Haven't made baguettes yet but those are pushing me towards making some. That looks really good and is a cool thing to do jay for your grandma.
Still using oil with gloves to spread dough. No mess, no fuss. Literally pulling a chunk and dropping in
20180519_153800.jpg
bread pan. Was able to get
20180517_215151.jpg
20180519_153744.jpg
some side by sides of William sonoma gold and regular glass. The ws pan is better, but i could live with both.

The house is warmer and the butter is soft. Perfect for a very thin spread on toast. Light taste of butter and the toast has no soggy spots with the flavor of the bread still dominant. Just a simple pleasure to start out the day.

resized346.jpg

Haven't checked in for a while. I've been contemplating getting a sourdough starter going, but I've heard that keeping it alive is a real pain. My wife and I like to go see our families on the weekend and sometimes I just get lazy and don't want to make bread for a while. Does anyone have any tips for how I can keep it low maintenance?

First try at pretzels. I need to roll them out a bit longer/thinner next time but pretty pleased with the results for a first effort. I used bicarbonate of soda instead of lye as I can only find that in drain cleaner form and didn't fancy using it
92mSxd8.jpg

zaabKmA.jpg

recipe
sourdough

20 g of wholemeal rye flour , sifted
40 g white spelt flour
40 g bread flour
100 g of water (cold)
5g active sourdough

main dough

sourdough dough
300 g of breadflour
100g whole milk, fridge temp
8 g salt
12 g malt - i used agave syrup
5 g fresh yeast - i used 2g IDY
16g butter
salt to sprinkle , also used sesame seeds

mix sourdough, leave overnight at rt

Knead all ingredients 5 minutes in stand mixer at the lowest level and 3 minutes at the second level to a very firm, smooth and firm dough (dough temperature about 24 ° C).

Let the dough rest for 30 minutes at room temperature (about 20 ° C).

Cut off 100 g dough pieces, round them and roll out to approx. 50 cm long strands. Wrap the strands into pretzels and place them on a baking tray covered with a dry cloth.

Let it rise at room temperature for 80-90 minutes. It should form a dry skin on the dough surface.

dip in 4% sodium hydroxide solution for 4 seconds, use gloves and googles - i used 2l of water and 100g bicarb

Bake at 250 ° C without steam for 15 minutes. After 5 minutes, have the oven slightly ajar, i used a wooden spoon to keep it slightly open

Spray off with water after baking for a slight sheen.

Haven't checked in for a while. I've been contemplating getting a sourdough starter going, but I've heard that keeping it alive is a real pain. My wife and I like to go see our families on the weekend and sometimes I just get lazy and don't want to make bread for a while. Does anyone have any tips for how I can keep it low maintenance?

Refrigerate it. I let mine go months in the fridge. I've let it go over 4 months before without feeding. It just takes an extra day of feeding wake up and get going. I've been keeping it that way for about 10 years now.

@Hanglow that's not bread.

I mean knot bread.

@StonesBally I have heard that a sourdough starter should be feed once a week even while kept in the fridge, you're saying it can go longer than that? That would be nice.
Yes I keep my starter without feeding for months at a time in the fridge. I have gone over 4 months before. The only issue is it takes a little longer to get going after that long. A side note, starter will be more sour with less feeding, favoring bacteria. They will favor yeast and be less sour with more frequent feedings. When I leave them for months cold, the water turns near black and the starter looks almost like creamy peanut butter. After 2 or three feedings, its ready to bake with again

Yes I keep my starter without feeding for months at a time in the fridge. I have gone over 4 months before. The only issue is it takes a little longer to get going after that long. A side note, starter will be more sour with less feeding, favoring bacteria. They will favor yeast and be less sour with more frequent feedings. When I leave them for months cold, the water turns near black and the starter looks almost like creamy peanut butter. After 2 or three feedings, its ready to bake with again
I do the same. I don't bake much over the summer so it can be in the fridge for a long time. It does look black and nasty. But as Stones says it comes out of it. I can make pancakes out of the nasty looking stuff but it takes at least three feedings again before I can make bread and get a rise.

I've been making sourdough for years, my starter is 17 years old. I'm not sure this question was ever asked or answered, has anyone made a starter using beer in place of water? Not the dregs from a ferment, but actual beer. I'm not convinced it will make any difference to the flavor from what I've read so far, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

I've been making sourdough for years, my starter is 17 years old. I'm not sure this question was ever asked or answered, has anyone made a starter using beer in place of water? Not the dregs from a ferment, but actual beer. I'm not convinced it will make any difference to the flavor from what I've read so far, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

I've used dregs from carboys, I've used homebrew, and I've used professionally made/packaged beer to make beer bread.

I've had some good results once from using carboy dregs from a Wyeast 1007 ferment. Everything else usually ends up with a banana flavor that I don't really appreciate. Most beer bread I've made doesn't raise unless I use self-rising flour.

But you might be talking about using sour beer to make a sourdough bread. I have not done that.

I bake my bread every sunday. My basic recipe is: 90% unbleached flour, 10%whole wheat flour, 75 % hydratation , fermented 3 days in the refrigerator .
The name is "pain de campagne Montfort" Montfort is the name of my homebrewery and the place I was born in Belgium.

Jacques

42815760302_5fa287813e_b.jpg

42815746732_3c4eb92f28_b.jpg

These were so wet they wouldnt slash. I used oil to pull and couldn't really form them. So just plopped them on the parchment. Happy accident, I usually put them on my steel but with it at the bottom of oven (guess only) they have been getting a little dark on bottom. So happy accident put them in the middle of oven on ws goldtouch cookie sheet and it put a beautiful golden brown on them. They smelled heavenly. Covered them with tin foil at 18 minutes of 30 min cook at 450. I think since this bread had evoo in it, it is softer. Super soft and easy to cut.
20180618_141351.jpg
20180618_141400.jpg
20180618_141413.jpg
20180618_141425.jpg
20180618_141446.jpg
20180618_141503.jpg
20180618_174237.jpg

No Knead Bread

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour 1 3/4 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon yeast 1 1/2 cups water (Or 1 cup water and 1/2 cup natural yogurt)
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and stir until a shaggy mixture forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 24 hours. Overnight works great. Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

Well done, I like focaccia too. 75% hydratation, fermented 3 days in the refrigerator, topping oil+basil+garlic

View attachment 580439View attachment 580440
3 days! Mine was 1 hour! [emoji2]
I did a quick rise at 200F in the oven, then topped with herbs, olive oil, and minced garlic. Baked for 20 mins on the grill at 450F. Start to finish less 2 hours. The family loved it.

I'm out of bread but don't want to heat the oven up. Darn it. I might bite the bullet and go all in

I'm out of bread but don't want to heat the oven up. Darn it. I might bite the bullet and go all in
We are going on our 3rd week over 100F so I am finding all kinds of ways to cook outdoors and not heat up the house. Between the grill and the smoker, I haven't found anything that can't be done, although some of them do come out a little different.

Good looking out. Awesome ideas. Its a little funny really, im a dingbat. I guess with the griddle, I forgot about the grill. I have taught plenty of people on this forum how to use their Grill like an oven. When we remodeled we were without our oven for a long time and I became very acquainted with using the grill as an oven. Also I've used it for smoking. I've also posted pics of cooking pizza on the grill as well as the griddle. Sometimes I guess we all just need a little push in the right direction. Brilliant, and I hope to post some results later. I've literally been running around the last few weeks like how do I make bread. Charcoal made bread sounds really good to me.

Further discussion and questions i hope someone answers....

The electric smoker goes to 275 it would take a while but how would that do? Also in general anybody ever smoke bread?

I haven't tried bread in the smoker either. Mine will get up to 325F if I take the water pan out but now you have me wondering how different the bread would come out, with and without the water pan. I think an experiment is in order!

Great focaccias!

I love it too, this is my favourite recipe to date, based on this clip

100% molina grassi 00/white bread flour
57% water
2% sugar
2% salt (plus some sprinkled on top once cooked)
1.75% IDY
potato - this was about 1 medium potato to 400g flour. boiled, cooled and mashed
EVOO - a good few glugs to 400g flour
smiley.gif

Topped with sliced onions soaked in water and some vinegar, plus rosemary and an emulsion made from water and EVOO - check out the clip for technique!

Did a quick bread last night. Fife Flour 75% hydration 2 hour rise and bake at 425f.

Fine texture, added cumin in the dough and caraway on top.
Finished off with Basil Brie and Chipotle.
I grind my own grain.

FEwGwyR.jpg

8K944AN.jpg

Took dough and passed it through my pasta maker into flat pieces and fried with butter in electric skillet. Super tasty. No pictures but these pliable little pieces of fried bread are so good.

Last edited:
Back