Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I have never heard about gas vs electric moisture... Water evaporates at the same temp no matter the source, does it not? Is it that added humidity is naturally in the gas? Just curious.

Yes.... combustion of hydrocarbons always yields CO2 + H2O + heat. The quantities of each depend on the specific fuel though. Lighter hydrocarbons such as methane, the main constituent gas of natural gas, produce less heat per unit of H2O.

Thus also the reason why propane is preferred for gas grills. Higher energy content and less moisture.

Let the dough come up to near room temp. I wouldn't punch it down again if it were me. If you like big airy open crumb bread you want to preserve those bubbles in the dough. Punching dough down evens out all the holes. Higher hydration rate is great for bigger holes in dough. Usually use 63-65% hydration for my standard loaves. When I'm making a open crumb, airy sourdough I shoot for 80% hydration. It makes a huge difference on the internal structure.
When you do 80% hydration are you getting face of the moon type holes? Do you knead the dough or doing no knead and at what point do you form the loaves?

We use my bread for sandwiches, toast and transport of butter when still warm so I don't want to have my bread look swiss cheese but some random larger holes would be nice. Being able to make a loaf that looks like swiss cheese or the face of the moon is something I would like to know how to do though.

Hmm, I have never heard about gas vs electric moisture... Water evaporates at the same temp no matter the source, does it not? Is it that added humidity is naturally in the gas? Just curious.
I had never heard that either, but as gas burns the exhaust of perfect combustion is C02 and H2O so a gas oven should actually be adding water to the space as it burns. Interesting

Bucket boule
20180322_181500.jpg
20180322_181314.jpg
20180322_181253.jpg
20180322_181321.jpg

My last attempt, I added a bit of water to get to 75% hydration and did the same stretch and fold thing, used a bit less sugar and olive oil. I got side tracked and allow the final bulk rise to go a bit long and something happened where half the dough was soupy and the other half had structure. You can see how one end was flatter and wanted to expand horizontally.
IMG_0515 - Copy.JPG IMG_0516 - Copy.JPG IMG_0518 - Copy.JPG IMG_0525 - Copy.JPG IMG_0527 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
@Jwin haha awesome. What are the odds of that. I need a couple more.

I made a bunch of loaves for in laws while staying in a timeshare. They had this big glass bowl and i used one from mil. Made 5 or 6 batches. Gave some to friends there, some to in laws, had pizza one night, and froze dough so they could make pizza. They said cinnamon bread was good.
20180328_164056.jpg
20180327_221454.jpg

That is an amazing amount of holes, almost looks like there will be more air than bread in the next slice.
Agreed. I assume it had something to do with the culture being stagnant so long. It had been in the fridge, untouched for well over a month. Really didn't proof too much either... Tasted good though and the holes didn't get any more obscene than pictured.

I just balled them like I do with pizza, then let them sit in the fridge overnight and about an hour proof at room temp or so before baking

Nice bread, good looking rise .^^

Ok here we go, two loaves. One in william sonoma gold touch, the other 2.99 bakers pride or something. Even if its only a little better I will be thrilled. Its not like the diff in these pans is in the hundreds. Considering that slight difference could last a lifetime figure it is worth splashing out the 17 dollar difference for something i enjoy.

Had memories of making sicilian pizza with mom as a kid. And we spread oiled dough in a pan and it was so easy. Wanting to be lazy, keep dough wetter, be lazy, and quick. I decided to spray my new gold touch jelly roll with canola oil pam and put a dallop of vegetable oil on it and in seconds spread a pan of dough. Sugar and cinnamon, zz blauw, done. More to come on this technique, thoughts welcome.
20180419_205906.jpg
20180419_205916.jpg

And the verdict is, idk. The cheap pan had a bigger loaf in it. The ws finished well before the good cook pan. The good cook pan did great! Just like the ws it didnt burn the sugar, cleaned up instantly, and browned the sides and bottom as good if not better. Both flipped nicely out and no sticking. As that test kitchen said almost all pans work great. I appreciate in myself that i can buy something and look at it objectively. The tops shows a major difference, could be due to oven, loaf size and other variables but the ws is clear winner there. I wonder if the ws cooked ten more minutes how nice the bottom and sides would be. The ws remained hot much longer and the other pan cooled instantly. Overall, not convinced this loaf pan is necessary but absolutely enjoying its quality and American craftsmanship.
20180419_221108.jpg
20180419_220640.jpg
20180419_220626.jpg
20180419_220602.jpg
20180419_220615.jpg
20180419_220201.jpg
20180419_220519.jpg

I’m now getting consistent results out of my spent grain bread and it makes excellent sandwich bread after a few hours rest in a bag to soften the crust. I can slice it into 3/8 inch thick slices and the wife and kids like it.
IMG_1212.jpg

Rise time varies, and takes twice as long if not more if I put it in the fridge overnight before putting it in the pan, but that’s to be expected.

The mercer bread knife is every bit as amazing as test kitchen said. Here is a look at some slices and one very thin just to show how well it works. Wow, cant believe it. Srsly like a knife in butter. The oil in the bread wasnt hurting anything either. The ws sliced bread seems softer and better. More surely to come.
20180420_165146.jpg
20180420_165213.jpg
20180419_231240.jpg

Finally got some free time to start baking again (started baking cookies for profit in December and haven't had time to bake for myself)... Here is the result of two loaves of sourdough (thanks to @Melana for her awesome starter recipe!).

IMG_20180409_040414.jpg

Second harvest of starter from my 'Mother'. Better activity of the yeast, but not getting the large bubbles trapped in the loaf, but still tastes outstanding!

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_202554.jpg
    IMG_20180422_202554.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 107
Trying my hand at sourdough bread. My 92 Year old grandmother LOVES Sourdough so about a week ago I started my journey! For mothers day I baked 3 loaves 1 basic sourdough, 1 loaf with sun dried tomatoes and fresh roasted garlic and then this beast with salt encrusted and fried Jalapenos and roasted red peppers and spicy pepper smoked gouda :)
Sourbread.jpg

Back