Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad recipe. Not too sweet. Not sour but your indoor temp maybe different then mine. Cookie almost cake like but still cookie.
dscn6725_opt-64528.jpg

1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup butter soft
1 to 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup organic sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup craisin
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Mix flour butter starter. Should be rather stiff. Proof for up to 8-10 hrs at room temp.

Mix all other ingredients. teaspoon drops. makes 2 dozen
375 for 12 minutes.

I might add coconut next time and try maple syrup instead of sugar. I'll have to adjust the flour for the Maple syrup.

Last edited:
Not a bad recipe. Not too sweet. Not sour but your indoor temp maybe different then mine. Cookie almost cake like but still cookie.
dscn6725_opt-64528.jpg

1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup butter soft
1 to 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup organic sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup craisin
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Mix flour butter starter. Should be rather stiff. Proof for up to 8-10 hrs at room temp.

Mix all other ingredients. teaspoon drops. makes 2 dozen
375 for 12 minutes.

I might add coconut next time and try maple syrup instead of sugar. I'll have to adjust the flour for the Maple syrup.

Sounds awesome! BTW, what did you fill those crepes with?
Regards, GF.

I was hoping nobody would ask. Lol. The crepes had Onions, crimini mushrooms and a fake steak substitute. I've been a vegetarian for I guess 14 years now. Eggs are the only thing I can't go without. I have a friend that has chickens and I get a dozen a week from her. I've built her 3 chicken coups over the years so she pays me back in eggs.

I made another batch of cookies. This time I proofed 12 hrs, and they were even more cake like. I even got pockets of air like a loaf of bread. Still a solid cookie.

My cookies were a disaster. Flowed into one large sticky square (tasty, ugly but tasty). Here is my first attempt at sour dough dinner rolls.

That's strange. My dough was very thick before proofing, almost too thick. after proofing it softened and then adding the egg and sugar it got slimy but held together fine. I've made another batch and it was fine also. I imagine all purpose flour would mess with the consistency and regular sugar would change it some also. I haven't tried the maple syrup yet because i was worried about it getting to runny.

Made a sourdough bread this weekend and it was pretty much a fail. I tried a recipe I had followed before with decent results, but I had to fudge the timing due to events.

The recipe made a HUGE loaf, so I will cut back next time, but it ended up being rubbery on the inside. Maybe it wasn't done baking, I don't know.

ChefRex has given me some advice so I am looking forward to making more and getting the recipe down pat. Just need to plan a day when I have time to keep an eye on the rise.

Made a sourdough bread this weekend and it was pretty much a fail. I tried a recipe I had followed before with decent results, but I had to fudge the timing due to events.

The recipe made a HUGE loaf, so I will cut back next time, but it ended up being rubbery on the inside. Maybe it wasn't done baking, I don't know.

ChefRex has given me some advice so I am looking forward to making more and getting the recipe down pat. Just need to plan a day when I have time to keep an eye on the rise.

It wasn't by any chance the Instructables recipe?

It wasn't by any chance the Instructables recipe?

I had to look but yes, it was an instructables page.

I went to the Fresh Loaf site, but it was too hard to find what I wanted. They need to revamp that site badly!

I know I had another recipe at home somewhere I just couldn't find it and was in a hurry to get it mixed up before we had to leave for family stuff. Chefrex got me squared away and I am eager to try again as soon as I can fit it in the schedule.

I had to look but yes, it was an instructables page.

I went to the Fresh Loaf site, but it was too hard to find what I wanted. They need to revamp that site badly!

I know I had another recipe at home somewhere I just couldn't find it and was in a hurry to get it mixed up before we had to leave for family stuff. Chefrex got me squared away and I am eager to try again as soon as I can fit it in the schedule.

Somehow I knew when you said it made a giant loaf. I think the most popular recipe on there makes this massive loaf, like 3.5 lbs. The first time I made it I got a giant sourdough cookie, the second time it turned out fantastic, the third time it was so-so. I agree about FL, great forum but they really need to organize it.

So, I've got a question that came up while reading Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice book. It seems that there's a call in some recipe's specifically for diastatic malt powder. In the book, the author mentions the need and benefit for the enzymatic actions of diastatic malt in baking. Which made sense at first. But as I was thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure that the enzyme actions would be noticeable.

From brewing, as I understand it, the enzymes are triggered by specific temperatures, so the sachh/dextrin rest stages are in the 140's and 150's respectively. However, the dough, prior to baking only ever sees room temps or fridge temps. Once baking, it's on a steady climb to reach final temp of 180+ depending on the bread.

So, the question here is, am I missing something in my understanding of diastatic enzymes or is there something to using diastatic malt for bread baking?

As with most things DIY, I'll be doing some testing to see what, if any difference there is in recipes that call specifically for diastatic malt vs just malt for flavoring. Two recipes as an example are Bagels and Kaiser Rolls. Bagels just use the malt for flavoring and any malt will do (although it's specified to be "barley malt"). But Kaiser Rolls specifically asks for diastatic malt. It uses a starter/pre-ferment which contains no malt. So after 24-72 hours of fermentation in the fridge, that starter is added to the rest of the recipe which includes the diastatic malt. This is then fermented at room temp for 2 hours, then formed into rolls and proofed at room temperature for 45 minutes, flipped and then another 30-45 minutes, then baked at 425F for 15-30 minutes or until the rolls reach 200F.

Based on that process, I'm not seeing where the benefits of diastatic enzymes would come into play.

So, I've got a question that came up while reading Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice book. It seems that there's a call in some recipe's specifically for diastatic malt powder. In the book, the author mentions the need and benefit for the enzymatic actions of diastatic malt in baking. Which made sense at first. But as I was thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure that the enzyme actions would be noticeable.

From brewing, as I understand it, the enzymes are triggered by specific temperatures, so the sachh/dextrin rest stages are in the 140's and 150's respectively. However, the dough, prior to baking only ever sees room temps or fridge temps. Once baking, it's on a steady climb to reach final temp of 180+ depending on the bread.

So, the question here is, am I missing something in my understanding of diastatic enzymes or is there something to using diastatic malt for bread baking?

As with most things DIY, I'll be doing some testing to see what, if any difference there is in recipes that call specifically for diastatic malt vs just malt for flavoring. Two recipes as an example are Bagels and Kaiser Rolls. Bagels just use the malt for flavoring and any malt will do (although it's specified to be "barley malt"). But Kaiser Rolls specifically asks for diastatic malt. It uses a starter/pre-ferment which contains no malt. So after 24-72 hours of fermentation in the fridge, that starter is added to the rest of the recipe which includes the diastatic malt. This is then fermented at room temp for 2 hours, then formed into rolls and proofed at room temperature for 45 minutes, flipped and then another 30-45 minutes, then baked at 425F for 15-30 minutes or until the rolls reach 200F.

Based on that process, I'm not seeing where the benefits of diastatic enzymes would come into play.

There's something to it. Diastic malt is just flour made from malted barley(not DME or anything like that), so I'm guessing it has all of the qualities that barley malt would have. There are a lot more enzymes in malt than the main ones we take advantage of as brewers, beta/alpha amylase. There's at least phytase that I know of that operates at bread-proofing temps, maybe more. I know you really can't pull off New York style bagels without it.

So I guess the smart thing to do would be to mill out some malt then to flour? $10/lb for this stuff through bakery supply stores vs. $2/lb or cheaper via homebrew supplies ;)

From brewing, as I understand it, the enzymes are triggered by specific temperatures, so the sachh/dextrin rest stages are in the 140's and 150's respectively.

The enzymes work slower at lower temperatures, but they do chug along. After all, their purpose is to convert starch to sugar and give the sprout enough energy to break through the soil.

Well, after being puzzled and not getting very clear answers, I did some digging and research. For anyone that is curious, this is referring to the amylase enzymes, the very same that we utilize for brewing. Apparently, those enzymes are simply activated by moisture, not temperature. The activity is controlled by temperature and what we utilize in brewing is in the optimum speed temperature zone for that enzyme. They become more active at those temperatures converting rapidly. At the slower speeds of bread proofing temperatures (2 hours at ~70-75F) the process is a bit minimal, but noticeable. However, since the process of baking does raise those temperatures, the process continues in the oven until the temperature of the dough/bread hits 170F. The primary purpose of this is to break down some of the starches out of the bread/flour and convert them to sugars. Those sugars, in turn, lend to better caramelization and browning during the baking process. As well, it may contribute to sweetness/flavor some.

Thus far, it seems that there are very very specific amounts to use, much more and you'll ruin the bread, too little and it'll not matter. I've been experimenting a bit and made a generic buttermilk white bread both with and without malt. The yeast activity is dramatically different, as I believe the yeast are feeding more readily on the converted sugars. Most of the recipes specifically calling for diastatic malt only ask for 1-2 teaspoons per batch, which is 2 loaves of bread.

The bagels use malt specifically for flavor, and non-diastatic malt is ok and most commonly used in bagels (even in New York). Most commonly this is done through Barley Syrup (Malt extract) But can be done with DME or Diastatic Malt Powder; although the recipes I've seen dont call for the use of diastatic specifically. The book I'm using, the author does advocate using at least half of the called for malt as diastatic if not all of it, but he said that's just a personal preference.

I just got a Lodge cast iron dutch oven for Christmas. Might have to try something like this. Was gunna use it in the pit for other sides too.

The one with the swing handle and legs? Those are big! It will work well for both small and big loafs.

I just got the 8 quart deep one with the legs. Haven't baked bread with it yet. I did burn some biscuits in it. Tried in in my wood stove guess it was to hot. Lol. Smoked the whole house up. Had to open the windows for a few minutes.

Looks good, nice color too. We both want the Kitchenaid mixer with all the attachments. Wanna make breads & sausage with it.

Third time trying to do bread. Have a great starter I made. View attachment 246663

Forgot to score the top until after I removed the lid so the sides blew out. If you're looking for a great beginner recipe/instructional check here. Dutch oven works great!!!

http://www.theclevercarrot.com/2014/01/sourdough-bread-a-beginners-guide/.

I have been following this and have my dough on a very slow rise. Hoping for bread tomorrow. I actually used some of ChefRex's sourdough culture that I had reserved. I may start another loaf tomorrow for dinner on Monday.

I have been following this and have my dough on a very slow rise. Hoping for bread tomorrow. I actually used some of ChefRex's sourdough culture that I had reserved. I may start another loaf tomorrow for dinner on Monday.

Keep us updated. I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Latest posts

Back