Homebrew Con 2020 Nashville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartanKen

Reaction score
Too soon? it's just 10 months away.

First true post here. I have lingered for years, but recently decided to immerse myself into the homebrew scene.

I've never been to Homebrew Con. But since its just a short 8 hour drive from Michigan... I figured why not. Snagged a cheap hotel next to the Opryland Gaylord Resort. So far I'm solo, but hoping to hook up with some people going. Any Michiganders going?

What should I expect from the after hours scene or the "local" brewery offerings? Is brewery hopping the norm for regular convention goers or what?

SpartanKen

There are organized evening events during the convention. Thursday night is pro brewers night. Friday night is Club night, which is a lot of fun. Late Saturday afternoon is the knockout party -- all the leftovers from the final judging are set out for people to drink.

I'm usually too, um, full of beer to bother going out afterwards.

Saginaw, Michigan here. I'm thinking about but my wife and I just retired and we're still trying to figure out this fixed income thing. I was going to wait until after the first of the year to start looking into it.

Webberville native here. I'm heading down Wednesday. I don't currently belong to a club, probably wont any time soon with my work schedule... but, I'd like to submit a brew or two into judging, just for fun and to learn the process. I know the full event ticket isn't exactly cheap, but hope its worth it in the knowledge/connections I pick up.

Ken

Nashville has a VERY active downtown nightlife. It is a little ways from the Gaylord to downtown but once you’re there it’s one bar after another. A HUGE party that routinely spills out onto the sidewalks. Not just Country music either (but there are a lot of honky tonks). I recommend getting a ride because parking downtown is a pain and driving back after the experience will be sporty.

There are also a dozen or so breweries spread around the city.

The Gaylord itself is like an enclosed city. Plenty of bars and restaurants in house but expect to dig deep. There are some places to eat outside a short hike away. The mall is just beyond the Grand Ole Opry which has several restaurants. A short ride (longer hike) just outside in the opposite direction is Cock of the Walk, Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, and a few others just beyond the nearby hotels.

If you have an RV, there are several camp grounds close as well. You’ll need a short ride to the Gaylord from the campgrounds.

If you play golf I highly recommend the Gaylord course. It’s a fun test of your game. ...and I love zoysia fairways.

Last edited:
Nashville has a VERY active downtown nightlife. It is a little ways from the Gaylord to downtown but once you’re there it’s one bar after another. A HUGE party that routinely spills out onto the sidewalks. Not just Country music either (but there are a lot of honky tonks). I recommend getting a ride because parking downtown is a pain and driving back after the experience will be sporty.

There are also a dozen or so breweries spread around the city.

The Gaylord itself is like an enclosed city. Plenty of bars and restaurants in house but expect to dig deep. There are some places to eat outside a short hike away. The mall is just beyond the Grand Ole Opry which has several restaurants. A short ride (longer hike) just outside in the opposite direction is Cock of the Walk, Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, and a few others just beyond the nearby hotels.

If you have an RV, there are several camp grounds close as well. You’ll need a short ride to the Gaylord from the campgrounds.

If you play golf I highly recommend the Gaylord course. It’s a fun test of your game. ...and I love zoysia fairways.

I did a walk around with google earth to see what was around the resort and my hotel(guesthouse). If I trek anywhere it will be by an uber/lyft. I would like to stop into a brewery or two.

I've been to three HomebrewCons in the last 5 years. If you really want to scope out local breweries, I would suggest arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday to do so. I went to Yazoo a few years ago and liked it, FWIW.

HBC Seminars and evening festivities will take up 9am-11pm ish on Thursday and Friday, and 9am to about 6pm on Saturday. This year, I went to the Brewing Network's afterparty on Saturday (a little extra $$ but worth it) from 8pm to midnight at a local bar/arcade for pretty much unlimited local beers. School of Rock (Providence) played a gig and they were great. Fun night. So check out BN's afterparty if that is offered next year. Anyway, between the local beer samples available all day in the vendor expo hall and evening festivities, there's not much time (or need) to venture out for more intoxicants.

Bring an extra duffel bag to carry home all the swag, and bring a water bottle. BTW, the seminars are really helpful

AHA Execs do say that there will be transportation from the venue to downtown Nashville, so attendees will be able to experience plenty on their trip to HomebrewCon.

Regarding a return to Denver for a HomebrewCon, not too likely until Denver hoteliers and others moderate their pricing. Maybe in another decade or two. Too bad you can leave the area and expand your horizons. Its fun!

AHA Execs do say that there will be transportation from the venue to downtown Nashville, so attendees will be able to experience plenty on their trip to HomebrewCon.

Regarding a return to Denver for a HomebrewCon, not too likely until Denver hoteliers and others moderate their pricing. Maybe in another decade or two. Too bad you can leave the area and expand your horizons. Its fun!

Geez...one or two decades. I will not hold my breath! I used to travel to various meetings and conferences. Now days, I use Zoom for most meetings and conferences.

I hated flying to the east coast because it seemed to take all day to get there and then another day to return. This was especially true when flying to Boston or NYC. Same with the northwest. Even though CA is close, I have no desire to travel to CA. I probably haven't been there close to 10 years.

I believe I understand what you meant to write. I think I have expanded my horizons plenty over the years....TX, FL, IL, MN, IN, NY, MA, CO, NM, AZ, TN, WA, GA, MO and the list keeps going....

It does sound like fun. Maybe someday everything will align right and I will be able to attend. Thanks for the info on Colorado.

Hey all I am a Nashvillian looking forward to this! Must hit breweries would be Bearded Iris, Smith & Lentz, Southern Grist, Tailgate (several locations HQ in west, one in midtown close to downtown and one in East Nashville that is where they do their funky stuff) a little further out is Yazoo’s new spot which is nice and Mantra in Franklin.

Downtown is fun but locals tend to avoid it now. East Nashville is cool and has lots of cool restaurants and beer spots. Germantown is fun and walkable. Gulch and midtown are touristy but not bad. Not much out by the Gaylord but not far from everywhere else. Franklin is a neat little town especially if you are bringing a spouse who likes walkable shooing. Oh and 12 south is also kind of touristy but good food a few good beer places and shopping. Last would be the Nations where Southern Grist is it is the “up and coming” part of Nashville.

There are several other breweries that I didn’t mention that are not my thing. Nashville is a great town and if you can make it you should.

Got to go start brewing now so I have plenty to share!

I'm undecided at this point. I go most years, but I have had quite a few trips in the last year, and two major ones upcoming, and my travel budget has been wiped out.

In just about a 15 month time period, I'll have visited had Germany, Prague, 2 HomebrewCon- Boston and Portland, Italy, Disney World, Hawaii, and San Diego (plus a couple smaller trips).

Next June, I have a family graduation in Ohio, and don't know how to combine that with Nashville. I also hope to visit my son again if he's not back on deployment.

I love traveling, but my husband is not a fan of me being gone half the time, I'm afraid. I do enjoy HomebrewCon, though!

Made it to my first HomebrewCon this year in RI, it was awesome. To OP...do note that as it gets closer to the event, the AHA releases their "hotel list" with discounted rates for AHA member. For example, the Omni in RI which was attached to the convention center was $399 and up normal price a night, but $199 with the AHA discount (all other hotels in the area, even cheap ones were all the same rate)..split with someone else, made it a great deal. Also, per the AHA, the Gaylord is big enough to hold ALL attendees, which means one big party all night long!

For first time attendees, bring an extra suitcase! Luckily I was only driving from Mass to RI, but I came home with 10 lbs of various grains, 6 lbs of hops, a bunch of hats, stickers, metal signs, 2 4 packs of canned wort, the event beer, t-shirts, etc. And I had two beers in the NHC finals so had to go to the awards show, otherwise I would have been in the Homebrew Expo on the last day, getting more stuff, as vendors were giving away a ton of stuff left over instead of having to ship back to their states.

A

Pretty much the same reason this year's was in Providence instead of Boston, because Boston hotel prices are crazy. But hey, it was the first one in New England in 40 years, so I was happy!

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to this after seeing videos of Rhode Island's Homebrewcon. Not currently an AHA member so I'll need to join. Are there deals/sales I should be looking out for?

For all readers that are within driving distance of Nashville, consider getting your club to attend in mass and also participate in Club Nite. Costumes, beer variety, its a blast. I've already put my club on alert and our planning is underway.

For all readers that are within driving distance of Nashville, consider getting your club to attend in mass and also participate in Club Nite. Costumes, beer variety, its a blast. I've already put my club on alert and our planning is underway.

At a 2 hr drive, judging from the conversations I’ve had, the local clubs here in N AL are planning to attend.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same reason this year's was in Providence instead of Boston, because Boston hotel prices are crazy. But hey, it was the first one in New England in 40 years, so I was happy!

Nashville ain’t cheap. We have a work meeting and had it in Nashville last year and it’s significantly cheaper in NYC next year. Nashville is the hipster capital and they charge through the roof. Bring your wallet and beard oil. No thanks to going to Nashville (and this is someone that lived there for 8 years).

my car will be packed with stuff as usual. Some I will even share.
cheers--

I LOVE it when you bring things to share!!!!!!!

I don't think I'll drive if I go, but I'm considering it. If I can drive, I can bring some of my own stuff and some Wisconsin goodies as well. It's a very long trip for me, though.

I LOVE it when you bring things to share!!!!!!!

I don't think I'll drive if I go, but I'm considering it. If I can drive, I can bring some of my own stuff and some Wisconsin goodies as well. It's a very long trip for me, though.

yeah that was part of me missing Providence. The multiple day drives like I did for Portland are just a no-go anymore. And I've found I don't have a lot of fun if I don't have stuff to share, so I missed conf for the first time in a decade. Nashville is a single day drive, so I'm in.

Tentatively I plan to be on a Cider Panel and in a Mead seminar, with stuff to serve for both. I'll be supporting both KCBM and the AMMA booths for Club Night. Busy, busy. But, someone has to drink this swill...
cheers--
--M

yeah that was part of me missing Providence. The multiple day drives like I did for Portland are just a no-go anymore. And I've found I don't have a lot of fun if I don't have stuff to share, so I missed conf for the first time in a decade. Nashville is a single day drive, so I'm in.

Tentatively I plan to be on a Cider Panel and in a Mead seminar, with stuff to serve for both. I'll be supporting both KCBM and the AMMA booths for Club Night. Busy, busy. But, someone has to drink this swill...
cheers--
--M

I'm kicking around the idea of a seminar again next year. It was fun, and this past year I did it with my best friend, the Princess of Fermentation. I liked doing it better with her than by myself the year before.

She's fermenting a spicy mustard now, and had a huge blowoff yesterday and made a huge mess. She's got a beautiful kitchen with gorgeous new countertops.
Being the friend I am, right away I said, "Did you take pictures!!???!!!" because I think that would be great in next year's seminar. :) @Melana

I heard from our local club that last year was awesome so I am going to try to get to Nashville for the next one. I'd like to drive, but it's 11 hours. Not horrible since I would drive to Stowe, VT to snowboard and that was about the same.

Considering it but we have a graduation to celebrate then our first college tuition bill, orientation, and move-in so its going to be a busy summer.

My first homebrew-con was this year, and I had a great time, met some wonderful people, learned some new things and brought home a load of free hops and other goodies. I had thought that I wouldn’t want to go every year but consider it if it is somewhat close to home, but then I hear next year is in Nashville (not exactly close) I really want to. I’ve visited a couple times for other conferences and just enjoy the area. Soooo, I’ll probably fly there and add on a couple days. I’ll bring a couple flat rate priority mail boxes to send home the heavy stuff I don’t want to drag through the airport. If you have the inclination to go check it out. Your membership to AHA is something you can use all year long.

My first homebrew-con was this year, and I had a great time, met some wonderful people, learned some new things and brought home a load of free hops and other goodies. I had thought that I wouldn’t want to go every year but consider it if it is somewhat close to home, but then I hear next year is in Nashville (not exactly close) I really want to. I’ve visited a couple times for other conferences and just enjoy the area. Soooo, I’ll probably fly there and add on a couple days. I’ll bring a couple flat rate priority mail boxes to send home the heavy stuff I don’t want to drag through the airport. If you have the inclination to go check it out. Your membership to AHA is something you can use all year long.
That's how I feel as well. Figured it would be "1 and done" unless it was back in the northeast, but it was such a great time, I really have the itch to go back. My in-laws live on the other side of Tennessee, so I'm thinking of maybe coupling it with a visit; could leave the wife there and make the trek via rental car.

But since its just a short 8 hour drive from Michigan

I live in Virginia and it feels like Tennessee is just next door (we do share a border), but Google is telling me it is a 10 hour drive. :(

I have never been and might be up for it (though Father's Day weekend is not ideal as I usually spend that with my sons).

Aside from club night, are there good venues for me to bring beer to share? I would be interesting in brewing up some educational/experimental beers or just bringing along a keg or two of my beers. For club night, do some clubs just setup a table with beers or does everybody have a theme to their setup?

Edit: I watched a Club Night Walk Through video on YouTube and it seems like maybe half of the club booths are not much more than a jockey box on a table with a club banner on the wall.

Last edited:
I live in Virginia and it feels like Tennessee is just next door (we do share a border), but Google is telling me it is a 10 hour drive. :(

I have never been and might be up for it (though Father's Day weekend is not ideal as I usually spend that with my sons).

Aside from club night, are there good venues for me to bring beer to share? I would be interesting in brewing up some educational/experimental beers or just bringing along a keg or two of my beers. For club night, do some clubs just setup a table with beers or does everybody have a theme to their setup?

11 hour if I check from city to city, probably more from where I'm at in MD. Asked the wife if she'd be up for a road trip and she wants to fly. I said I won't be able to bring home as much fun stuff if we fly lol

11 hour if I check from city to city, probably more from where I'm at in MD. Asked the wife if she'd be up for a road trip and she wants to fly. I said I won't be able to bring home as much fun stuff if we fly lol
You get to bring 2 extra empty suitcases! :)

Bumping this up to see if anyone knows any details for timing each day? Originally planning on driving down Wednesday night (late) and arriving Thursday morning, but it sounds like HBC events start around 9am? Trying to get a hotel/AirBnB booked far ahead of time.

Bumping this up to see if anyone knows any details for timing each day? Originally planning on driving down Wednesday night (late) and arriving Thursday morning, but it sounds like HBC events start around 9am? Trying to get a hotel/AirBnB booked far ahead of time.

Have you checked the site? I was looking through and they have a bunch of info on the daily events.

https://www.homebrewcon.org/2020-registration/

Homebrew Con? had no idea it even existed. I guess there is a Con for anything these days.

From what I've seen all the events listed are from last years HomeBrewCon in Rhode Island. For example, the Kickoff Party shows a date of June 27th.

Well damn, I should have used a calendar lol.... Tricked me since the main page shows the 2020 dates..

Latest posts

Back