High mash temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryhippo

Reaction score
My mash temp ended up way too high. The recipe called for 68C but the temperature was more like 78C.

My OG was supposed to be 1.044, but I ended up 1.060. I imagine there is a lot of non fermentable sugars in there.

What can I expect from this beer? Will it be o.k.?

Um, I might have some bad news for you. 78C is ~172 degrees. This is not good. You have probably extracted a massive amount of tannins. The wort you extracted will be very sweet and not very fermentable. I would definitely ferment it just to see what it comes out like.

I just recently had a beer that fermented very well in appearance, but 5 weeks into fermentation it was very sweet.OG was fine but FG was high, obviously. I was assuming it was just a stalled fermentation, but i had a very large starter with very viable yeast (only based on date). It is more likely I had a very high mash temp, and all the sweetness is non-fermentable... I need a new thermometer

You can add some amylase enzyme if you like; it will chew away the long chains and make it more fermentable.
But realize that the reaction is not controllable once it is in the fermentor because you cannot turn it off by simply adding heat. Start with a small amount and experiment!
Cannot hurt now right?

Back