Your experiences with mashing high to brew low abv beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew a sweet beer
Like something you can really taste the sweetness accompanied by hop bitterness
Mashing at high temps (71-82c) is the method that fascinates me
Have you ever tried something like that? If so, what was your attenuation? Original and final gravity? Did it end up being sweet? Did you carbonate it in a bottle? Did you make use of acids to lower pH below 4.6? What was your mash temp schedule?

When I make Bitters and Milds I mash at 154-156 for 45 min, and bring to boil asap. I find the pH dependent on the SRM ,lighter lower. I program attenuation into my recipes with time more so then temp,as long as you stay in the 143-156 range. If your system can get to mash out in 10 min or less you can do that. For me I pull the bag and put the spurs to it.

I'm trying to brew a sweet beer
Like something you can really taste the sweetness accompanied by hop bitterness
Mashing at high temps (71-82c) is the method that fascinates me
I have not mashed at 82C but I did mash a Porter at around 72C due to a thermometer that was out of calibration. The resulting beer matched up with a lot of the Brulosophy trials on mash temps. I got low attenuation (finished in the 1.025 to 1.030 range), but the beer was not sweet or thick. Most of the sugars that taste sweet to humans produced in a mash are the same sugars that yeast readily consume.

Using a lower attenuating yeast that does not consume maltotriose will leave a bit more sweetness and body in a beer. It will not be as sweet as a massive pastry stout or a lactose vanilla pumpkin ale.

Are you also trying to brew a very low ABV beer? I am not sure what amount of fermentation is needed to push pH below 4.6 but it is likely an issue to think about with 0% to 2% ABV beers.

I have not mashed at 82C but I did mash a Porter at around 72C due to a thermometer that was out of calibration. The resulting beer matched up with a lot of the Brulosophy trials on mash temps. I got low attenuation (finished in the 1.025 to 1.030 range), but the beer was not sweet or thick. Most of the sugars that taste sweet to humans produced in a mash are the same sugars that yeast readily consume.

Using a lower attenuating yeast that does not consume maltotriose will leave a bit more sweetness and body in a beer. It will not be as sweet as a massive pastry stout or a lactose vanilla pumpkin ale.

Are you also trying to brew a very low ABV beer? I am not sure what amount of fermentation is needed to push pH below 4.6 but it is likely an issue to think about with 0% to 2% ABV beers.
I can use citric acid for that matter, thanks for the reply
Can I just mash normally (66c) and add lactose? Will lactose sweeten it?

I’ve found that mashing high dramatically lowers attenuation and thus alcohol, but that the impact on sensory characteristics is relatively small. I would not count on a hot mash to make a sweet beer.

Lactose will indeed sweeten your beer, but you need a fair bit. It’s almost certainly the best controlled approach.

I find that getting sweeter beer is easy to control by utilizing caramel malts. The amount of sweetness and other flavors can be controlled by the amounts and type of caramel malt and the consistency of the results can be better because the caramel malts are carefully controlled by very experienced people.

I find that getting sweeter beer is easy to control by utilizing caramel malts. The amount of sweetness and other flavors can be controlled by the amounts and type of caramel malt and the consistency of the results can be better because the caramel malts are carefully controlled by very experienced people.
I'm gonna use a lot of caramel 10l which is known for its honey like sweetness
Just one more q
Is fermentis s04 Maltotriose negative?

I'm gonna use a lot of caramel 10l which is known for its honey like sweetness
Just one more q
Is fermentis s04 Maltotriose negative?
I believe the answer to the SO4 is correct, it cannot break down maltotriose so it will not ferment it out, leaving your beer have more sweetness.

I believe the answer to the SO4 is correct, it cannot break down maltotriose so it will not ferment it out, leaving your beer have more sweetness.
Thank you
I'm thinking of mashing high
With a 1.045 wort
I think it'll finish around 1.030
But won't be sweet, right?

Fermentis Beer Tips and Tricks , p 43

1697975850335.png

S-04 can eat maltotriose perfectly fine. @RM-MN is mistaken and might be thinking of S-33 or Windsor which cannot ferment maltotriose.

A high mash temperature will reduce attenuation and alcohol, but the resultant sugars are not very sweet. I agree with others that lactose is the best way to ensure the beer comes out sweet. Use as much as 1 pound per 5 gallons (about 500g per 19L).

I've successfully made a few lower abv beers by mashing at 70-72C and then using a lower attenuating yeast eg MJ M15.

I've just bottled one that was 35% munich, 35% vienna, 18% carared, 7% caramunich, 3% flaked barley. OG 1028 FG 1016 so 1.6%abv. 45 mins @70C then 10 mins 72C M15 yeast.

I've successfully made a few lower abv beers by mashing at 70-72C and then using a lower attenuating yeast eg MJ M15.

I've just bottled one that was 35% munich, 35% vienna, 18% carared, 7% caramunich, 3% flaked barley. OG 1028 FG 1016 so 1.6%abv. 45 mins @70C then 10 mins 72C M15 yeast.
Did it taste sweet?

Did it taste sweet?
From the one bottle I've had so far, I don't think it does. The relative lack of alcohol is noticeable but otherwise it seems reasonably balanced to my tastes. Maybe more by luck than judgement the hopping seems about right to me with enough bitterness & flavour.

Latest posts

Back