High Gravity Ferment Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
Hello all! I brewed a big RIS this weekend (1.104ish) and I was planning on giving a good 90 seconds of pure O2 before pitching but I ran out of O2 about 40 seconds in. I was going to pick up another tank today, would it be beneficial to add more O2 this late in? I pitched late Saturday night and had active fermentation by Sunday morning.

If fermentation has started, and it seems to have started without significant lag time, you don't need to incorporate more oxygen. Sounds like you have a nice healthy fermentation going on my friend, and a very strong and delicious ale to consume 4 to 6 months from now!

Ya I'm thinking I'm going to be okay, I used WLP 090 San Diego Super Yeast and pitched a boat load of it (~5.5qts starter) so hopefully it will get me to a happy FG :D

A 5+qt starter?! Whoa man, how much RIS are you making? I have a vial of SD Super and can't wait to use it. Probably will when the snow melts this weekend. Planning a partigyle batch of Barleywine followed up by a pale ale.

Well from mrmalty it seems that I should of made a 6.5 liter starter for a 5gallon batch from my one vial that was a month old so that was about as big as I could get it in time for pitching. I ended up doing a partigyle batch with my grains, have no idea how it'll turn out though. It seemed that the pre boil og was pretty low like 1.023 so I added a lb of D90 candi syrup I had on hand. It ended at like 1.053 so we'll see how that works out lol.

Back