high ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
So if you have to high of a ferm temp can the batch be recovered with extended bottle conditioning? My batches were usually 2-3 weeks in bottles. My last two batches are "green"(have a liquor "burn" finish). The one batch is at 6 weeks in the bottle, 5 weeks on the other batch. The batch thats got one more week was bad burn at 3 weeks and yesterday still had a burn but not near as bad. If i leave these two batches to bottle condition for more time will that green taste go away or is it "stuck" in the beer?

What type of beer was this? What Yeast did you use and how hot did it get?

Just trying to get a better idea of your situation. :D

Same as skemp45, but also What temp. was it? I've read high temps can lead to "off" flavors, but I have done a few batches in the mid 70's and never had what your describing.

From what I understand (newbie), if the yeast is over temp in the first few days, then it produces "bad" alcohol (ie, "fusel"), and that cannot be corrected with time.

edit: I love the Wiki description: "sometimes described as "spicy", "hot", or "solvent-like"."

Solvent-like, and I don't think that changes over time.

Pale ale. House temps were about 70 so beer temp could have hit 77-80 cause from what i know beer temp can be 5-10 degrees higher then ambient temp. I need to build my swamp cooler so i can get back to brewing. I have a feeling the burn will subside substantially over more time but im thinking it fusels and they will never go away completely. Oh and my yeast was just coopers brewing yeast. Thats all thats on the gold package.

Back