Hersheys Chocolate Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
Anyone ever used this to make a Double Chocolate Stout? I see recipes with cocoa powder but nothing with syrup. I was just wondering why. I didn't see any preservatives in it, is there any other reason I wouldn't be able to use the syrup?

Mainly because it's more HFCS than chocolate.

High Fructose Corn Syrup , Corn Syrup , Water , Cocoa , Sugar , Potassium Sorbate - Preservative - 2% or Less , Salt - 2% or Less , Mono and Diglycerides - 2% or Less , Xanthan Gum - 2% or Less , Polysorbate 60 - 2% or Less , Vanillin - Artificial Flavor - 2% or Less

i havent used the syrup but i have melted two hershery's bars via double boiler and added to a secondary fermenter... WOW.. chocolate supreme. i force carb'ed so no problem with head retention. damn good.

Dave the Brewer said:
Anyone ever used this to make a Double Chocolate Stout? I see recipes with cocoa powder but nothing with syrup. I was just wondering why. I didn't see any preservatives in it, is there any other reason I wouldn't be able to use the syrup?

You can use it but you are better off just using the cocoa powder. The syrup is cocoa powder mixed with some sugar and a lot of water.

Back