Candy cap mushroom mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestvintage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started this mead last week using meadowfoam honey and candy cap mushrooms. The smell is so good, just like maple syrup. I know of one other person who is making one and I decided to do one when I had a beer with candy cap mushrooms. So has anyone else made one?

I had no idea about candy cap mushrooms.

How much did you use? Any particular ratios you are using or just kind of winging it?

I’m subb’d, can’t wait to hear about this mead.

Btw- where did you get the mushrooms? Apparently they are around the NW but I’ve never come across them.

I bought some dehydrated ones. They smell and taste just like maple. I could eat them like candy.
I had no idea about candy cap mushrooms.

How much did you use? Any particular ratios you are using or just kind of winging it?
I am winging it basically but added a 1/2 ounce, they are light when dried to primary. I am making a 1.5 gallon batch since it is pricey. I used 2.5 pounds of meadowfoam honey and 1/4 cup brown sugar. In secondary I am planning on adding more meadowfoam to back sweeten if necessary and more mushrooms, also only if necessary since I am not sure how it will taste when done fermenting. I also have a tincture going of the mushrooms I can use. I just added my last nutrient addition yesterday and it smells amazing. I am thinking of pulling a quart and adding some lapsang souchong to see if adding a slight smoke will be good, might change my mind though depending on how it tastes when I transfer. Should be done in primary in the next couple of weeks.

Hey guys, been long time since I’ve posted. I saw candy cap mushrooms and had to chime in. Candy cap mushrooms are wonderful in mead. It’s been a well kept secret for a long time and I don’t know why. I use 2g/gallon. Soak/sanitize them in a little bit of plain cheap vodka for 24hrs then put it in for 7-10 days after fermentation is done. They give an earthy maple taste. Keep them in the freezer. I’ve also used them to flavor maple cider.

I have had my last 2 orders for the candy cap mushroom fall through so am trying one more time since I want to add them in secondary. I do have a tincture made so could add that if this last order of mushrooms falls through also. This mead smelled wonderful throughout the fermentation process and has been sitting in secondary for a few weeks waiting for me to get more shrooms. It cleared up very nicely without any help.

Back