Here's what I got, What can I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aestiva

Reaction score
I have a can of Munton's Continental Lager 1.8kg,
One can of Cooper's 1.7kg (obviously hopped in both cases)
& 3 lbs of Spray malt Plain Light 10 EBC.

My goal was to make to make a Oktoberfest/Malt liquor/Mai bock style with some hoppiness and an alcohol content in the sixes.

Does anyone have any comment as to my genius or folly?

Sounds like my batch of Riccetti's Best. When I get a surplus of leftover ingredients and yeast that was unused in previous batches, I make a batch of Riccetti's Best. No telling what it tastes like and it is always different, but it has alcohol. As I get better as a brewer, it seems my next batches of Riccetti's Best gets better as well.

Do you have any hops to add to your concoction? It should be ok, but I'd definitely want to add some hops to it if your gravity is going to be in the 1.060s.

Munton's says 45-55 IBU, the Cooper's doesn't say. My suspicion was that since both kits called for several pounds of added sugar that they both must be adequately hopped. As I was going for a Mai Bock style I thought I could forgo any additional hops to get more sweetness.

Munton's says 45-55 IBU, the Cooper's doesn't say. My suspicion was that since both kits called for several pounds of added sugar that they both must be adequately hopped. As I was going for a Mai Bock style I thought I could forgo any additional hops to get more sweetness.

Not necessarily. I mean, the Cooper's is probably very low IBUs. The Muntons seems ok, but remember that adding corn sugar thins and dries the beer, while malt extract increases the mouthfeel, body, and may require some hops. Do they both call for a kilo of sugar? If they do, you may be exactly right in adding 3 pounds of DME. I don't think this will be anything like a Maibock (those are very malty and lagered, and German hops are used), but you might get a tasty rich beer out of it.

For something like an Oktoberfest, you ought to try and find some Hallertauer or Tettnanger hops. It sounds like you only need them for a late addition, though, so you don't need much.

TL

Back