Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEERMAN8P

Reaction score
I made my first batch of brew and the instructions said, once the fermenter is done bubbling wait 48 hours after bubbling stopped then bottle n let sit for 1 to 2 weeks. Well I started another batch in a different fermenter and when I was putting the air lock on IT BROKE, so I took the one off my first batch to put it on the new one and put a plastic sandwich bag over the top of the hole with a rubber band to seal it till I can get bottles tomorrow morning. Is that a bad call? Wat should I do?

You're gonna be fine, just go get another airlock and you'll be fine. I've sealed mine with a paper towel before (from yeast pitching onwards) and haven't had a problem. I wouldn't recommend that but it'll work in a pinch.

Be patient. Leave the beer in primary for at least 3 weeks, longer if you can stand it. It will only make better beer.

That is fine. Did you sanitize the bag? A piece of sanitized foil over the top is also a good option.

Better than time after the bubbling stops (which is unreliable) is to take a gravity reading wait 2 days and take another one. If they are the same the fermentation is done. Better yet wait at least a week after reaching final gravity. I ferment for about 21 days on average.

I didn't sanitize the bag bc it was brand new outta the box n I used the inside of it that was sealed, I was to concerned about covering it as soon as I took the seal off (it was only unsealed between vacuum lock to bag for only 10 seconds)

Back