Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas S.

Reaction score
I finally finished my kegerator build last night, only to wake up this morning to find that the compressor went out on the old mini fridge I was using overnight. Today, I went to bestbuy and bought a Frigidaire model FFPE4533UM, to try and get things going again since I have a full, pressurized keg waiting to be drank. I am having some issues with this though, as apparently my measurements beforehand weren’t right. The keg needs about 1in of clearance on the top before it will go in. The freezer part of the fridge sticks down just far enough that it’s causing me to not have the clearance. The freezer is molded plastic so I can’t just bend it down, is there a way to tell where the lines are, or if there are any in the freezer section so that I can cut it out as needed? I read where I could take a paste of vodka and corn starch, but if I’m not mistaken, that’s for the evaporator lines, which I wouldn’t think would be running inside the fridge anywhere. I have looked all evening online for the diagram showing the layout of the lines but I haven’t been able to find anything. Anything anyone would be willing to share will be greatly appreciated.

Before reading fully through I was going to say corn starch and something evaporative.. This is still the best method( That I know of). Maybe taking it slow, Dremel with low clearance, take out the shell, remove the foam by hand, bend any coils without crimping them?
Tough call, are you sure it is the compressor and not the motor start/run capacitor? I had a similar thing happen, and one $18 part from grainger had me up and running before a 4th of July party..

Before reading fully through I was going to say corn starch and something evaporative.. This is still the best method( That I know of). Maybe taking it slow, Dremel with low clearance, take out the shell, remove the foam by hand, bend any coils without crimping them?
Tough call, are you sure it is the compressor and not the motor start/run capacitor? I had a similar thing happen, and one $18 part from grainger had me up and running before a 4th of July party..
Based on the readings I was getting with my multimeter, it’s the compressor. Which is unfortunate because of how expensive they are to replace. That may work, but knowing my luck I would zip straight through one of the lines without realizing it. I’m not sure what to do yet. I may go ahead and try the cornstarch mix and see if I can tell if there’s anything in the freezer or not. It’s a new day though. Maybe searching the internet today will lead to some ideas. Thanks for the help though.

Based on the readings I was getting with my multimeter, it’s the compressor. Which is unfortunate because of how expensive they are to replace. That may work, but knowing my luck I would zip straight through one of the lines without realizing it. I’m not sure what to do yet. I may go ahead and try the cornstarch mix and see if I can tell if there’s anything in the freezer or not. It’s a new day though. Maybe searching the internet today will lead to some ideas. Thanks for the help though.

Just wondering whatever happened with the new fridge. Any luck? Was considering picking up the same model

Mike

Back