First Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinTheQ

Reaction score
I’ve been reading this forum a lot of past couple days because I want to build a keeper of my own. I’ll preface with I don’t brew my own beer, so space is not really an issue, plan on only having one tap with at most two 1/6 kegs.

I plan on getting the little 5 cu foot chest freezers as my base. My specific question (which can be answered by someone who owns a similar freezer) is if I truly need a collar. Right now I want to just get the freezer and then mount a one tap tower on the top of the freezer, where coolant lines aren’t located. Will there be enough clearance for this.

For reference I don’t want to build a collar because I’m currently still in my college apartment and lack all tools necessary to build one.

A sixtel is 23 3/8" tall. A standard type D coupler and tailpiece will add about 3 5/8" to that. So the freezer needs to be at least 27" deep.

A sixtel is 9 1/4" in diameter. So you'll need at least 19" on the diagonal to get two in there. Not counting the hump obviously. Possibly more.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a 5 CF chest freezer is going to cut it.

i think one option especially if space is limited is to jump from warm keg to say oxebar 4 liter PET kegs. you can fit them in a regular fridge.

i didnt think you can jump warm beer to another vessel without both being ice cold but i saw posts saying its not an issue.
you could keep your sixtels anywhere they fit then jump 4 liters at a time to oxebars and keep them in the kitchen fridge to serve cold.

i think this is a possibilty when space is a problem.

When I lived in a college apartment I still had some tools! I didn't have any power tools though as an undergrad and I only ever had a corded drill as a grad student. I did have a hand crank drill prior to that. You just need a hand saw, a pencil, ruler/straightedge, tape measure and screwdriver. Collars are easy. It might be tough to screw in the screws without a pilot hole, so a drill would be useful even if you have to borrow one. Today's screws are cheaply made and strip easy. Basic tools are a must unless you always want to be at the mercy of the repair people. How would you mount a tap tower anyway without tools?

Even freezers of the same size however have variations between manufacturers. I'm pretty sure I've seen 5 cf freezers more than once as two tap keezers but a collar is a common feature. Best to pick one out and get the inside measurements.

You need to get the INTERNAL measurements of whatever box you're looking at, and don't forget your CO2 tank and plumbing. If you want beer gas for stout, that's another tank.

Back