Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Racel

Reaction score
I started a one gallon batch of mead last night. It is my first time, woke up this morning to look at it pictures to show, is something wrong with it? Do I need to fix it? How do I fix it? What went wrong if anything?
file-4.jpeg
file1-2.jpeg

Just clean out your airlock and reset it. You had just.enough volume for.it to reach the bottom of the airlock when it started to foam up.

is something wrong with it?
Are you referring to the blow off into your airlock?
That's almost to be expected given how full that jug is.

Just clean it and replace. It may happen again though. Try to control the ferm temp toward the lower end.

You could take off the airlock and bung, and cover the opening with a clean paper towel or sanitized piece of close, and hold that on with a rubberband. Then, when fermentation slows, put the airlock set up back on. You definitely do NOT need an airlock right now!

Okay so I put on a new air lock and it’s starting to blow off into the airlock again. Should I empty the jug a little so the blow off won’t reach? Would that mess up the fermentation progress?

Please follow Yooper's advice. Otherwise, you may wind up with a plugged airlock which in turn could lead to an explosive event involving major clean up.

Back