Hello from NORTH Houston area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archmaker

Reaction score
I just started brewing bought a kit for a girlfriend last year and that is how I got started. No longer have the girlfriend but still enjoy the hobby!!

Plan on doing an American Pale Ale tomorrow (Third batch to date). The only question I have is the hop schedule.

Ahtanum Pellets 2 oz
Cascade Pellets 1 oz
Centennial Pellets 1 oz
Galena Pellets 1 oz

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Welcome, Good to see that you know which is more important! :)

Feel free to ask questions and poke fun at the locals, we are a pretty good group around here, with a wealth of brewing knowledge.........not me but some of the other people around here :D

Cheers

Welcome aboard. Another Texan! It seems like this is the Texan mecca lately.

For you APA, I'd probably use a combination of the Centennial, Cascade and Ahtanum, depending on how many IBUs you're looking for (any ideas?). Use the Centennial for bittering and the Cascade and/or Ahtanum at 30, 15, and 5. If you post this Q in the recipe forum with your target IBUs and AA% for the hops you have, you'll get a lot of help.

Welcome! Are you looking to use all those hops, or is that just what you have on hand?

If you want to use them all, you're might be pushing American India Pale Ale land (not that there's anything wrong with that). I've never used Galena, but I hear they are great bittering hops - very clean, and an ounce should get you pretty far along. Centennial also are good for bittering, with their higher AA%, but you may also want to take advantage of their flavor and aroma with a 15 minute addition. Cascades is wasted on bittering is such styles, and that goes the same for Ahtanum. Save those for 10 minute, 5 minute, or flameout additions, or for dry hopping.

You could make a mighty good APA by bittering with the Galena (probably not the whole ounce), adding the Centennial at 10 or 15 minutes and an ounce of the Ahtanum at 5 minutes. Then, dry hop with an ounce of the Cascades and, maybe, some of the Ahtanum.

TL

Latest posts

Back