HBT Comps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Does anyone every hold HBT member only competitions? I didn't notice any and the barley wine seemed to be a swap.

Just curious! :)

The judging issue was the only problem I was thinking about, how many of the mods are certified? I agree if we could get a few people close enough that are certified that would be great. We could also each toss in a small entry fee to help pay for some kind of plaque or something for the winner. Even if no one wants to do that, I think it still would be fun. Even if for only bragging rights and getting people a chance to have their stuff critiqued!

I'm in if anyone can get it together!

It doesn't even have to be the mods that do the judging. Hell, there are people on here with their own brewpubs that it could be held at. I'm also willing to bet that people would travel to such an event

This sounds like a cool idea. Maybe Tex could add a feature where you get a plaque by your user name for awards you have won. Also, winning recipes could be posted.

Cool idea.

Well post me down as a participant, I don't even care the style! Hopefully more people can jump on board and help make this happen. I will do whatever it takes to help out if needed.:mug:

Oh yeah, sign me up. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to enter. We don't have any competitions around here... apparently your town needs a population >5 to have beer related events.

Well, I guess FlyGuy's poll will let us know how many judges we have around here. I think an HBT com would be awesome, with as many members as there are here, it could turn into a huge thing.

We talked about this a long time ago, but the logistics were going to be nearly impossible. We decided at the time to start doing the beer swaps, instead (has there been one of those lately?), with the caveat that the recipient would need to provide the sender with a lot of the kinds of feedback you get from a comp.

I can understand that issue, but with more members, and possibly more registered judges it might be more plausable? I mean all ya need is a couple well seasoned guys who live close that are willing, they don't even "have" to be registered.

The Swap is cool not trying to take away from it, but everyone loves a good healthy competition!

I would certainly participate...Would the judges all have to be members? As long as a few of them were...I think this competition will have to be fairly narrow...I was a big fan of the Brewbubbas Big Beer Brewoff idea. There was a minimum OG of 1.080 for the competititon. That'll get those judges.

As long as the person who moderates on site is one of the more seasoned members or moderators I don't see why it would matter if all the judges were HBT people or not. It would be nice it they all where, but I will take what I can get that this point. Now who on here is willing to judge, I think we all know which seasoned members we might all agree on. I will PM some of them to see what we can get going.

I'd be interested. Would the judges necessarily have to be BJCP certified? I bet it would be fine if we went with a location where there where simply a number of HBT members to judge. Ideally somewhere where there is a BJCP certified judge to oversee the tasting

I agree that the logistics are waaayyyy too unwieldy to do something like this...I mean we are an international club...and even the Us members are spread out...the thing is that you need the judges at ONE PLACE, rather than spread out...

Here's what I suggested to Aleforge when he pmmed me about being a judge or something...

I don't know about any certified judges but several of the mashers live in metro detroit...we get together once and awhile....

How do you plan on doing somehting like this, it seems like it would be unwheildy...seems like members would be attempting to (illegally) ship beer across the country....it's not like there's a central base of "vets" where the traditional 2 beers would be sent.....

It might be worth considering doing an HBT comp to happen at the same time as NHC or the GABF, where a bunch of members will be....last year for nhc you had a ton of the vets...like a lot of the mods in one place (they even had a webcast for club night that a lot of us watched....

Hbt had a booth.....If I were setting up something like this, I would find out which "vets" were going to NHC, and if they were having a booth again...and select the judges from THAT pool...find out who would accept the shipments and bring them (preferably a member who lived in whatever city that NHC was happenning in) then have the judging one day at NHC, and even have it happenning on mogulus...

I mean...I'd be honored to judge...but since we're scattered around the world, it seems unwhieldy...I don't wanna be a downer..

It's just that in my experience on here, a lot of these kinda things end up being way to complex to pull off......

But I'll take a look at the thread, and see what you guys have to say about this....

Thanks for thinking of me...if there's a way I'd love to be one of the civilian judges ..THough I doubt I will be able to swing going to NHC or GABF this year..

Another option that occurred to be is that the Michigan Mashers HBT club is the largest club within a club on here. And we get together once in ahile...and I know some of the guys have friends who are BJCP certified....maybe a handful of us under a local judge or two (like Fred Bonjour perhaps) could be the judges....that way the beers could be shipped centrally to one of us in Michigan, and we could have a judging day....

Just a suggestions.....I'd have to post it to the Michigan Mashers Section and see if there's anyone interested besides me....

One of the things to realize is that for comps, beers usually are submitted at least a couple weeks in advance and they are stored cold usually at the judging site for at least a week, to let the beer settle and reach equilibrium after being bounced around in transit...

I have some thoughts on this but I'm not able to post a lengthy discussion of it right now. Some thisngs to consider and discuss.

1) HBT is a AHA registered club, so you currently can enter any AHA / BJCP comp and list HomeBrewTalk Brewers as your club.

2) Most of the comps I know of either lose money or break even. There are a great deal of ticky tack costs that add up.

More later.

I have some thoughts on this but I'm not able to post a lengthy discussion of it right now. Some thisngs to consider and discuss.

1) HBT is a AHA registered club, so you currently can enter any AHA / BJCP comp and list HomeBrewTalk Brewers as your club.

2) Most of the comps I know of either lose money or break even. There are a great deal of ticky tack costs that add up.

More later.

Are you texting and eating Sushi ALREADY my friend???? :D

I didn't think completely on the logistics of such an undertaking when I first posted the idea. However since talking with some others on here It has been brought up that we could do rounds and limit entries with a time frame.

Secondly this is suppose to be fun and casual, I envisioned a bunch of us shipping beers off to Bobby, Evan, or Revvy and having them hanging out on the weekend judging away. Guys that know what they are doing, but have a good sense of humor. :D

Obviously having it more formal with registered judges would be great, but I don't see it happening after talking with everyone.

As far as money is concerned, we just need a few guys that love beer and possibly money to pool in for a prize / award. I already have people willing on here, so that's taken care of. :p

Now it just comes down to participants, style and if HBT would be willing to be involved at any level. I think if not we could still organize something for many of us to take part in. :mug:

How about picking an existing competition as HBT supported. A group could send to that competition and then share the results from the score sheets here in a dedicated thread.

How about picking an existing competition as HBT supported. A group could send to that competition and then share the results from the score sheets here in a dedicated thread.

Well we could always do that, any competition as earlier suggested we can enter as part of the HBT club. However I was thinking it would be more fun to just have HBT people going head to head in a more informal setting. Just think of all the great review commentary we would get! ;)

I've been thinking about this for the last day or so and do have one thought about this idea. I think it's a great idea, especially for people who have never been in a contest before. It's wonderful to get feedback from other brewers. But, when we've done the beerswaps before, though, I have a feeling some of us were less than completely honest about the beer. We want to give constructive criticism, but we also don't want to embarrass others by saying, "This beer is some nasty ****". An outside contest is a bit more honest- they can give criticism and negative feedback without feeling bad about it.

I support the idea, but I'm really trying to figure out a way that would make it fair and a not-huge undertaking for someone.

So what are some thoughts on how it would work.

We would have one or two judges then every member who wants to enter sends those Judges their entries for the Comp.? Seems pretty simple if we could find some certified Judges with some time on their hand to handle it all.

Currently Yooper and I have been gathering information and getting some ideas ironed out. She is going to handle the entry forms and anonymous number assigning. I am collecting the information on possible Judges and getting the logistics and format together. The big question that has not been addressed was what style(s) to go with, and if we should limit entries.

I also am willing to get a plaque made up for this unless someone already "knows" someone. I think it would be a nice addition to the contest. We have in house CNC's and are fully equipped for it, but we usually sub out engraving. So I need to talk with the CNC guy and find out if we can cut a nice font. (and if so why he keeps sending crap out)

So what are some thoughts on how it would work.

We would have one or two judges then every member who wants to enter sends those Judges their entries for the Comp.? Seems pretty simple if we could find some certified Judges with some time on their hand to handle it all.

Woops meant to quote / respond to this above!

I was thinking the same thing, this doesn't have to be that hard and everyone has to know going into it that is light hearted. I do not know who on here is a registered Judge however, does anyone? I would still be completely happy to have a respected member do it if we cannot find a judge willing. (Evan)

Has there been any movement on this front since mid-march?

Count me in if it ends up happening... and let me know if there's something a fellow Michigander can do to help.

It's going to be $5 for the first entry and $2 for each additional entry. Entries will be due on or around September 15. Each entry will consist of two 12 ounce bottles (brown) with regular caps. No Grolsch style bottles. You may send one entry per substyle. With BJCP styles that have no substyle, you may send one per style.

BOS prize is a 20 gallon Blichman Brewpot, donated by Brewmaster's Wearhouse. Other prizes will be awarded, too, donated by our vendors and ribbons will be awarded for each place. Scoresheets will be returned with the judge's comments and scores.

Full information, including the rules, will be posted this summer. The entries will be judged by a panel of BJCP judges.

Yippee, Yooper! I want to play this game! I actually have a pale ale that might be drinkable.........

Well, good! Glad to hear it.

Here's the thread I'm updating: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/hbt-bjcp-sanctioned-homebrew-contest-110603/

The prize list will be available after June 1. We already have some good ones! The aforementioned Blichman pot by Brewmaster's Warehouse, of course, and some gift certificates to some of our vendors, as well as other prizes and of course ribbons.

One of the best things about being in a contest is getting back your scoresheets with the judge's comments. Sometimes they hurt, but they always have constructive help (keep fermentation temperatures under better control, use more aroma hops, etc) on them.

So, brew much and plan ahead for the competition! First 300 entries will be accepted, and I'll put the entry dates up well in advance.

Back