Harvested and washed yeast, how much to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
I apologize for the newbie question..

New to brewing, and never harvested and washed yeast from either of my two ever batch brews :ban:

But would like to try this on my next batch coming out of the fermentor in a few days.

So the question is not how.... the question is,, how much..
Once I have this washed, yeast....., how do you measure, know how much to use in your wort?

Seems recipes and charts specify amounts of liquid, or dry, or dry rehydrated ect, yeast for a given recipe, amount of wort.

How does one convert that amount to a mason jar of harvested and washed yeast?

Thanks

Erik

I apologize for the newbie question..

New to brewing, and never harvested and washed yeast from either of my two ever batch brews :ban:

But would like to try this on my next batch coming out of the fermentor in a few days.

So the question is not how.... the question is,, how much..
Once I have this washed, yeast....., how do you measure, know how much to use in your wort?

Seems recipes and charts specify amounts of liquid, or dry, or dry rehydrated ect, yeast for a given recipe, amount of wort.

How does one convert that amount to a mason jar of harvested and washed yeast?

Thanks

Erik

What I do is use the yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com. It has a tab for "repitching slurry" and I use it each time I save/reuse yeast.

It tells you in milliliters how much yeast to use, and my pint and quart jars have markings on them so it's super easy for me.

What I do is use the yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com. It has a tab for "repitching slurry" and I use it each time I save/reuse yeast.

It tells you in milliliters how much yeast to use, and my pint and quart jars have markings on them so it's super easy for me.

Thank you.. I knew there had to be a common sense and simply way to figure that out.

Listen to the Yooper my friend.

Her profile says Upper Michigan (dat's why she's a "yooper"), but she and her hubby are winter Texans, so we can consider her one of us (kinda sort of ;) )

Listen to the Yooper my friend.

Her profile says Upper Michigan (dat's why she's a "yooper"), but she and her hubby are winter Texans, so we can consider her one of us (kinda sort of ;) )

Funny you should say that! Two different neighbors called us yesterday, so we talked a lot about our "home" with them yesterday.

The thing I love about our friends in Texas is that once you become close, you're family. We are really brothers and sisters with our Texas friends, and even their brothers and sisters are ours as well! We can't wait to get back in January.

Back