Harder to get carbonation when using beergun with CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Krokfar

Reaction score
Hi!

Everytime I use my Beergun and give each bottle a good spray with CO2 before filling the beer, the carbonation take forever. Sometimes up to 3-4 months. I use the same amount of primer as I always do. The only differense is the lack of oxygen in the bottle. Is that the reason? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Cheers!
/Tomas

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey krokfar welcome to HBT!

Are the bottles being kept at the right temp? Are you using a calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar you need ? Theres no need to purge with co2 unless your filling from a keg and the beer is already carbed . With the correct amount of primer and kept at the right temp it should only take 2-3 weeks. The lack o2 in the bottle could make it hard for the yeast to do its thing during priming.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had that problem because I don't own a beer gun.
The Beer Gun is made for filling bottles from an already carbonated keg.
I believe the yeast need a little oxygen in the bottles to easily ferment the priming sugar. Lack of that could easily be the problem.
3 weeks at about 70 degrees. 95% of mine have been ready in 3 weeks. A few high ABV, dark beers have taken longer.

OP
K

Krokfar

Reaction score
Hey krokfar welcome to HBT!

Are the bottles being kept at the right temp? Are you using a calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar you need ? Theres no need to purge with co2 unless your filling from a keg and the beer is already carbed . With the correct amount of primer and kept at the right temp it should only take 2-3 weeks. The lack o2 in the bottle could make it hard for the yeast to do its thing during priming.[/QUOTE
I purge my bottles with co2 because of some oxidation problems I've had before. I got rid of the oxidation but got this problem instead. Next time I'll try not to purge the bottles.