half boiled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hi all, i just ran a little problem with my gas Set up and i had a leaking, so when i realized it, my whole propane tank was empty and the wort only boiled for 25 minutes out of 60, so since i didnt wanted to dump it i just cool it and send it to the fermenter pitch it and its fermenting, but im not sure what problems this beer might have its a regular cream ale, wort was about 1.050 after cooling it.

other of my concerns are that i just had enough hops for 11 IBUS but since it only boiled for 20 minutes my IBUS might be lacking, can dry hop help me get some IBUS?

A dry hop won't get you actual IBUs but it can add hop flavor. This beer is already going to have more hop flavor because the boil was so short. Personally I would probably just let it ride and see what it becomes.

I only boil for half an hour on any of my beers. I have yet to see any downsides from it as I can't tell that I get any less bittering that way.

It takes wort over 170F to cause the isomerization of hop oils that make them bitter so you don't get any more bitterness by dry hopping. You do get some nice aromas from dry hops though.

thank you for your replies, but yes i think i didnt eplain myself on the dry hops, normally a heavy dry hop gives a bitter taste like, i dont know how to describe it but you may know, my concerns are that this may end it tasting like water with hop aroma and some alcohol, i was also thiking on boiling some 1 gallon of water adding hops and drop it on the fermenting beer

I really don't think it's going to be bad. I have done some fifteen minute boils and they came out well. Was this an all-grain or extract recipe?

Couldn't just go get more propane and finish the boil? Maybe stop on the way and get some hops too! Either way you go it's still beer.

I don't guess about good or bad beer as I've been surprised with what I thought was going to be great beer but was not great by any standard and with beers I've thought would be nasty but were great.

To know if it will be good or bad you'll have to wait till after you bottle/keg it.

Back