Grainfater Extract Kettle Sour.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STMF

Reaction score
(Not sure if this should be posted in the Grainfater, Sour or Extract forum. Feel free to move it if you think it fits somewhere else.)

I made my first sour a few months back after about 4 years of brewing.

The goal was to make a sour that was
* Eeasy drinking
* Somewhat low ABV
* Not overly sour

I used:
* Grainfather
* 18 litres of water (about 5gallon)
* 2kg Extra Light DME
* 6g Citrc Acid
* 3g CaSO4
* 25g Cascade (about 1oz)
* 25g Wakatu
* 25g Cascade (dry hop)
* 25g Wakatu (dry hop)
* 2.g Lallemand Wild Sour Pitch
* 10g Crossmyloof California Commoon yeast
* 10g Crossmyloof Kölsch yeast

Not everything went according to plan but here is what I did
Heated the water to about 90*C and added the DME, the Citric acid and the CaSO4.
Circulated through the counter flow chiller back in to GF and cooled to 35*C. PH about 4.85.
Pitched the Lallamand Sour Pitch, flushed the GF with CO2 and put cling wrap at the top.

- Here I set the temp on the GF to 35*C but forgot to put the heat switch on. -

24 hours later I noticed that I forgot the switch and turned it on, it was now 25*C.. I did 1*C increments to not heat it to much and fast.

48 hourslater it was at 3.55PH and it tasted nice.
I put the heat to 90*C and then did a whirlpool for 30 min with the hops without heat and cooled it at the same time down to 70*C during the WP.
Cooled it to 20*C and pitch the yeast + dry hop and fermented it at the same temperature. I used 2 pouches of yeast just to be on the safe side.
Even though it didnt go exactly like planed the end result was everything I wanted. It has a nice sour but not too much. I have no problem drinking 2-3 in a row during the hot day.

Latest posts

Back