grain bag?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
forgot to get grain bag at the brew store.....

What can I get at my local store like Fred Myers??

Ya was thinking of toss grain in loose and use a strainer after its done.

Does anyone reuse grain bags? Can you? I'm not cheap or anything, I just hate to waste. Any thoughts?

What's the best strainer, by the way? Just sanitize a colander?

I reuse mine all the time- just rinse well and I throw them in the dishwasher.

The "best" strainer? I use a metal colander that fits over the opening of my primary bucket and dump it in. I can do this myself pretty easily, although 5 gallons is pretty heavy!

I sanitize my colander in my primary bucket while I'm sanitizing every thing else during the boil.

marshman said:
Does anyone reuse grain bags? Can you? I'm not cheap or anything, I just hate to waste. Any thoughts?

What's the best strainer, by the way? Just sanitize a colander?
When I did steeps and PM's, I would use a large steel mesh strainer and slightly whirlpool the hot wort and manually dip out as much of the grain as I could.

After that, I would pour the wort through that same strainer into several smaller pots and then reassemble the mix back into the larger pot.

A steel mesh strainer is usually fine enough to catch your cracked hulls and most the other particles.

For strainer purposes, I'm just looking to seperate my dry-hop from the beer when it comes time to bottle in a few weeks. I was considering GENTLY pouring from secondary into bottling bucket through cheesecloth & colander. Sounds good, anyway.

marshman said:
For strainer purposes, I'm just looking to seperate my dry-hop from the beer when it comes time to bottle in a few weeks. I was considering GENTLY pouring from secondary into bottling bucket through cheesecloth & colander. Sounds good, anyway.

You don't want to do that! You want to gently siphon without aerating at all. You use an autosiphon or a racking cane and it has a little tip on it that helps keep the floaties out. The trub is at the bottom, so you just rack above the bottom and you don't have to filter. Dryhopping does make it harder- I had pieces of hops that still got sucked up a little, but when you let that sit in your bottling bucket, it seems to sink.

If you absolutely want to strain, you can use a straining bag over your racking cane and that will help. But don't pour your beer and/or filter it that way!

Back