Good yeasts at warm temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCrabby

Reaction score
I originally got into brewing as an experiment to see how cheaply I could make something that was drinkable. To that end I have yet to purchase a fermentation chamber.
All of my beers (extract and PM) have been highly drinkable, even with some added fruity flavors from fermenting a bit too warmly.
I live in the South, and even with A/C, swamp cooler, and frozen water bottles, it's difficult even to get the fermentation down to 70* consistently.

So, my question to those with more experience is: which yeasts can make good beer even at fermentation temps around 75*? I only know of Wyeast 3724, but I would like to make styles other than Saisons. I am not trying to make a lager here, I know my limitations. I just want to exhaust all my options at this stage before I invest any more money into my hobby.

Wlp 550 and other Belgian strains can handle 75 degrees.. and higher!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Take a look at Wyesst 1388 (Belgan Strong Ale). I haven't brewed with it but it ferments a very clean 13+% ABV mead that is drinkable very young. I've been starting it in the high sixties and running it up into the low seventies toward the end of fermentation.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 64-80° F (18-27° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12-13% ABV
Styles:
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Belgian Tripel
Bière de Garde
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer

Most of the Belgian styles of yeast do well in warm temperatures.
Saison yeasts (that you don't want to make) are the prototype, but you could also use Wyeast 3787, 3522, 1214 and 1388, as well as 3463 to make any number of Belgian styles, including a wit.
Another option would be to try making a "Dark Saison" with 3711 or 3724. Not the typical 'Saison' flavor when you add roasted malt flavors.
You could also use the yeasts in an atypical style, like a Belgian IPA or Belgian Stout.

maybe it's not the answer you're looking for but if you are willing to do the ac/ice bath/swamp just for the first 18 hours or so you can do a great job with a fast acting english yeast like fullers/1968/002, i punched your numbers into my magic de-obfuscator and got- starting at 21 and raising up to 24 degrees c, a tad warm but still pretty good for these yeasts, and finishing at higher temps is useful for attenuation and diacetyl. you can make great english and even american styles. you will need to pitch big and healthy so it takes off straight away, no use throwing in an old smack pack and hoping it gets going!
another option is brett beers, i use the white labs 'trois' strain for IPAs and it's truly amazing, nothing like the funky side of brett, this is the clean fruity side, if you treat it like regular sacc yeast. i recommend this thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/wlp644-brett-b-trois-326861/
i ferment this strain right around the temps you have at ambient, even starting in the 23-24c range. highly recommended, but you will need to grow up a big pitch before you start. the white labs brett bruxellensis is also nice as a primary yeast, again it will do fine in the temps you have, i like it for farmhouse and wheat styles, and i have also mixed it with the dupont saison yeast for primary.

Lots of great info here, thanks everyone.
I do currently have a Saison on deck, to which I plan to add some honey malt so it ends up on the sweeter side.
Haven't thought about making a dark Saison or a Belgian stout, that's a great idea.

I've mostly used S-04, -05, and Notty for my other brews, and they've worked ok enough. I think I could top off the wort with more cold water and pitch in the low 60s. With a bath it should take a while to warm up.

Thanks again.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse claims it is good up to 90F... I currently have 2 blonde ales I fermented with that yeast, one at 64f and the other around 72f. I couldn't check to gravity because my hydrometer broke but the recipe was supposed to be 1.043.

I had ordered 2 packets of this April 2014 from AIH. Expiration on the packets showed they should have been good til December 2014 however after waiting 48 hours on the 1st packet to begin fermenting with no activity I added the 2nd packet. After another 24 hours with still no activity I finally threw in the Fermentis US-05 to get fermentation started. Ive read that the Workhorse can be a little slow to show activity but I could see nothing beginning after 72 hours and 2 packages of yeast.
Final results yielded a vinegar edge to the beer and you have to wonder if it wasn't due to the slow start to the fermentation :mad:
Needless to say I chalked this up as a fail on the part of the yeast, a waste of cash and a disappointment in the quality of the brew. I wont be using the workhorse yeast again.
On a positive note this is the first problem I have had with anything from AIH and I do not hold them to be at fault here. In fact I'm currently waiting on my next shipment from them that should be arriving next week.
On another positive note, the brew is drinkable if I mix it half and half with cheap big brewery rice syrup extract "beer" :eek:

Drinking - Raspberry Honey Wheat (Yummy stuff)
Conditioning - Vienna "vinegar" Mocklager :mad:
Fermenting - AIH Amber Cerveza
On Order - AIH Summer Wheat with a pound of Honey malt, Peach flavoring, 1 oz Citra. Adventures Amber Ale.

Cooper's ale yeast and WY1318 are both pretty good in the low 70s. WLP550/WY3522 is also good in this range, and may be the cleanest Belgian you'll find. But mostly it sounds like you need more frozen water bottles.

Since I started this thread, I have invested in a mini fridge. Only problem with that is I want to make lagers, and I want to be able to make more than one beer every 2-3 months. I do have a Saison finishing up nicely with 3724, and I'll check out some of the Belgian yeasts mentioned for my non-fridge brews.

Latest posts

Back