Giga yeast GY001 NorCal Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelkahuna

Reaction score
So....I get my grains and hops for a luscious IPA and..............the supply house is out of WLP001 AND Wyeast 1056, and I did not want to use SafAle S-05. The kind young lad behind the counter recommends Giga yeast GY001 NorCal Ale as an alternative. I accept his proposal. Any of you fine folks use this yeast for an IPA ? If so, results and comments are welcome

Never used it, but its the same strain as the ones you were looking for, and was very, very, likely sourced from 1056, or wlp001. Any difference in fermentation is likely from the higher cell count.

Curious what you thought of it. I just did a big IPA and the ferment seems to be going very slowly. I made a 2L starter w the gigayeast pack, pitched most of that to a 17.6 oxygenated wort and it took off 3 hours later. Was psyched about super short lag time. But I can't believe it's 7 days later and only at 71% app attenuation. I held it at 66 for four days and let it rise to 70 after that. I did a split fermentation with WLP090 and that's now done - 1.009 / 87% AA. I am fine waiting for this to finish but just very surprised at how slow it seems for Chico yeast. Anyone else have similar (or different) experience with the north cal ale gigayeast?

I've used GY001 several times and it has always delivered rapid onset and usually fully fermented results. The higher cell count saves the hassle of making a starter, but yoiu would need a starter if it's old.

Latest posts

Back