Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I had the same problem at a restaurant I went to this past week where the server was proudly listing off every Budweiser/ Miller /Coors that they had when I asked for their beer selection! When I asked what they had for craft beer I stumped the server!

Once asked if they had anything other than BudMillerCoors and she replied "BudBudLightMillerMillerLiteCoorsCoorsLight..."

Ug, stop. Bring me a co-cola

No, the south is the smartest, and most typical of the bunch. Ever heard of "fedexing" something? That's using the most popular brand as the generic name for the entire industry. How bout xeroxing something. Same thing again. Just google it; there's another one. If you had been in the south for 6 years, he would've asked for a Coke, and gotten something similar to what he intended.

Had he been from the eastern part of the south he would have asked for a, "CoCola." Were the server from the same area she would have responded, "What kind?"

"What are you drinking?"
"A Mikkeller sour."
"Wait, you're drinking Michelob? Wait, Michelob makes a sour now?!?!?"
"No, Mikkeller."
"Oh."

Red Robin has a promotion going for GABF and the waitress had no idea what the selection was or kind of beers... nice promotion

A local woman complained on Yelp about the new World of Beer not having two of the ciders that were on the menu, and when she asked for Michelob Ultra instead, apparently the bartender had never heard of it. The reviewer said, and I quote, "at least they could hire staff that are knowledgeable about beer." I found it quite refreshing that a bartender at a craft beer bar had never heard of that pi$$water, and I believe they hired the right person for the job.

I've been to World of Beer myself, & I believe that line that he used on her was a running joke for the company.

Kind of like how those BMC beers have been a running joke for a while... lol

A few years ago my brother and I went to Applebee's (don't judge). He ordered a Bud Light and I ordered a Sam Adams Boston Lager, because it was the best thing on their beer menu. When our beers came my brother made a face and said, "Oh yeah, I forgot that you like those dark beers, that's disgusting! I would never order anything called a "lager."

Then he sipped his Bud Light...

I was handing out some home at our Father's Day BBQ. My uncle takes a sip of my American Lager. "Not bad! A little hoppy..."

Yup, all 15 IBU's :confused:

I think he just describes all beer as hoppy, tbh.

I was handing out some home at our Father's Day BBQ. My uncle takes a sip of my American Lager. "Not bad! A little hoppy..."

Guess its time again for me to dig up this little gem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ps

One of SWMBOs friends was over and tries a sip of a hefe I offered her. She goes "its good, but very hoppy" I ask to smell the glass to make sure I didnt pour her a pint of my 26oz imperial IPA. Nope, its the hefe. I asked her what kind of hop flavors she was picking up. She responds "flavors? I dunno, its all hopping around in my mouth, I mean I like it, but its just very hoppy" SWBMO was embarrassed for her

I dont know how on Earth you can go through life thinking carbonation=hops, I shouldve asked her what pepsi tastes like...

From another thread, but it's apropos here, too:
From Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America's Kings of Beer:
Along with the entire A-B hierarchy, August [Busch III] thought Miller Lite tasted thin and watery, so [Andrew] Steinhubl’s recipe for Budweiser Light increased the amount of hops in the mix to give it more flavor... At the time, most European beers had an IBU between 20 and 45. Budweiser had an IBU of 15. For Budweiser Light, Steinhubl bumped the IBU to 17, which was potentially problematic because August didn’t like bitter. In fact, he claimed that whenever he tasted Budweiser that contained a slightly elevated level of hops, he experienced a throbbing sensation in his forehead that he called “head feel.”*
Veterans of tasting sessions with August had seen head feel. It registered on his face as he squinted his eyes, furrowed his brow, and began rubbing his forehead with his forefinger and thumb. But only one other person, Denny Long, ever felt the sensation. “Maybe it was because he trained me to taste,” said Long, who described the feeling as “the onset of a sinus headache right above the eyebrows.” Still, Long said he only experienced head feel once or twice. And most of August’s fellow tasters thought head feel was a figment of his imagination. They’d roll their eyes and exchange looks whenever he brought it up, and joke behind his back: “Yeah, I’ve had head feel, boss. It’s called a hangover.”

* August would eventually decide it wasn’t hops that caused his head feel. Rather it was a certain grade of rice that included broken kernels.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago my brother and I went to Applebee's (don't judge). He ordered a Bud Light and I ordered a Sam Adams Boston Lager, because it was the best thing on their beer menu. When our beers came my brother made a face and said, "Oh yeah, I forgot that you like those dark beers, that's disgusting! I would never order anything called a "lager."

Then he sipped his Bud Light...

So did you educate him or just continue to drink your LAGER? :)

Red Robin has a promotion going for GABF and the waitress had no idea what the selection was or kind of beers... nice promotion

The folks who sit behind air conditioned desks give no thought to the lackeys below them. They figure "somebody" will take care of it. Somebody said "lets have a promotion", and they did...with no training or coaching of the people on the front lines.

Kinda related: when our company moves celebrities (including the Ottawa Senators players), somebody higher up on the food chain offered a VIP package (for a fee) to make sure you're well taken care of. Then people like me are expected to bend over backwards for the client. Do WE get a cut of this VIP fee? No. And yet we're expected to go above and beyond for the guy for the same low hourly rate we make on the welfare moves (ever seen a hundred cockroaches come scurrying out from a couch when you pick it up?).

Now, for an on-topic contribution to this thread: Today I heard "the only bad beer is one that aint in me". I offered him some of my infected stout, and he declined.

The folks who sit behind air conditioned desks give no thought to the lackeys below them. They figure "somebody" will take care of it. Somebody said "lets have a promotion", and they did...with no training or coaching of the people on the front lines.

Kinda related: when our company moves celebrities (including the Ottawa Senators players), somebody higher up on the food chain offered a VIP package (for a fee) to make sure you're well taken care of. Then people like me are expected to bend over backwards for the client. Do WE get a cut of this VIP fee? No. And yet we're expected to go above and beyond for the guy for the same low hourly rate we make on the welfare moves (ever seen a hundred cockroaches come scurrying out from a couch when you pick it up?).

Now, for an on-topic contribution to this thread: Today I heard "the only bad beer is one that aint in me". I offered him some of my infected stout, and he declined.

Yeah, it's odd for a restaurant that a good beer selection is part of their thing though. At least up here they always have good stuff. First place I had brother thelonious.

Yeah, it's odd for a restaurant that a good beer selection is part of their thing though. At least up here they always have good stuff. First place I had brother thelonious.

Red Robin? The burger place? Here in Chicago it's quick casual burgers. No beer.

Our Red Robin has your typical BMCs, some of BMCs crafty beers and 1 or 2 local selections, plus mixed drinks

All in a separate section, off limits to kids

Which you know we love

They recently redecorated, I miss all the cool art & photos they had on the walls

Our Red Robin has your typical BMCs, some of BMCs crafty beers and 1 or 2 local selections, plus mixed drinks

All in a separate section, off limits to kids

Which you know we love

They recently redecorated, I miss all the cool art & photos they had on the walls

Oh weird, the New England ones typically have something from stone, something from green flash, a Smuttynose, and then a couple other craft options

Red Robin in my town (CA) advertises local craft brews; from New Belgium... (bang head here X)

I would presume without even asking that they don't mean New Belgium's good and interesting experimental and barrel aged series (La Folie, Terroir, Lips of Faith series, etc.)

my wife who does not enjoy beer but has enjoyed a few of the brews I've made has told me this "when you you brew your beer it smells like the Budweiser plant in here"

she grew up near the Budweiser plant here in Columbus and I always tell her NO it doesn't but she insists and punching me in the gut and telling me it does

:(

When it got really late on brew day yesterday, & wife came downstairs @ 11:30PM to check on me...I'd already turned into Freddy Flameout ( remember Roth's Weird-o character)? She helped me till a couple of the boys came down to take over assisting. She even smiled at me with that smile that, somehow, always makes that wood boinging thing happen...;) :rockin:

"regular beer" was actually a term I heard used recently by someone, in the context of "I like some of the stuff at my local micro brewery, but I don't drink regular beer". A few questions nailed the definition of "regular beer" to be BMC, and I told her that I absolutely agreed with her on that statement.

Face it, for most people who didn't grow up in the 80s or later, BMC was what they thought of when they heard the word beer.

My initials are K.A.N but I prefer draft when possible, if not then a bottle. Cans taint the flavor to me, some more than others.

Oddly enough, mine are too :|

I loathe that my initials are BMC, but my dad thinks it's hilarious. Especially given the irony that I was the one the weaned him off of Miller Lite
Mine's LMC...playing one away here...:confused:...a day late & a dollar short on this brew...:(

We frequent world of beer, where they have over 30 taps that rotate daily, and a bottled beer menu that comes in book form. On our last visit, this group of early twenty something's walk in and ask if they have a beer menu. Our server hands them a draft menu, as well as the bottle book, to which they looked at like a deer in headlights. After about 10 minutes of them fumbling through different styles, and some interesting mispronunciations, the server comes back and asks if they have decided on anything. To which the one guy replied " we will just have 3 miller lites, we have been drinking craft beer all day long, and are kinda burned out on it. " :pipe:

I frequent the World of Beer in Columbus, they have 50 beers on tap and about 300 bottles to select from and I shake my head every time I see someone throwing back a 5 dollar Bud Light

We frequent world of beer, where they have over 30 taps that rotate daily, and a bottled beer menu that comes in book form. On our last visit, this group of early twenty something's walk in and ask if they have a beer menu. Our server hands them a draft menu, as well as the bottle book, to which they looked at like a deer in headlights. After about 10 minutes of them fumbling through different styles, and some interesting mispronunciations, the server comes back and asks if they have decided on anything. To which the one guy replied " we will just have 3 miller lites, we have been drinking craft beer all day long, and are kinda burned out on it. " :pipe:

I frequent the World of Beer in Columbus, they have 50 beers on tap and about 300 bottles to select from and I shake my head every time I see someone throwing back a 5 dollar Bud Light

Why would they even be going to WoB...?

That's like going to the Yard House(similar concept, 50-100 draft options, tons of great beer, ciders, Belgians, usually a few great sour options too. Yet I don't think I've seen someone with BMC there(though it is an option)

Why would they even be going to WoB...?

That's like going to the Yard House(similar concept, 50-100 draft options, tons of great beer, ciders, Belgians, usually a few great sour options too. Yet I don't think I've seen someone with BMC there(though it is an option)

Those places just need to age their budlight in the cellar. :p

Back