Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually no. I would say I don't agree with that.

When someone says this, what they mean is:

"I like light lagers made from adjunct grains that tastes faintly of noble hops and is produced in massive quantities and heavily marketed to reinforce my self-esteem for liking such generic weak beer."

To a majority of people, a porter, heffe, stout, IPA, or even Amber ale doesn't "taste like beer".

Only presuming he was referring to the collective "we" here on HBT

To us, porters, heffes, stouts, IPAs and ambers are all beers & taste like beer.

Only presuming he was referring to the collective "we" here on HBT

To us, porters, heffes, stouts, IPAs and ambers are all beers & taste like beer.

THIS. As in, I like beer that tastes like beer and so does Grognerd.

Bill in the beer doesn't mean what he says. But it's still a true statement ;) :D

Once had a guy at the bar in a brewpub add salt to a beer...because it adds to the bubbles. Then proceeded to tell us that German dark beers are that way because they stay in the fermenter longer, and the lighter beers are in for shorter time.

Once had a guy at the bar in a brewpub add salt to a beer...because it adds to the bubbles. Then proceeded to tell us that German dark beers are that way because they stay in the fermenter longer, and the lighter beers are in for shorter time.

He sounds like a real beer snob. I like to talk to people like that and see how far they go with it.

This kinda makes me want to head to the nearest good bar and start spouting all the nonsense that gets quoted here.

Was talking to a work associate yesterday about a small brewery with a nice taproom in our area. He said "Yeah my son used to drink that weird micro crap but he came to his senses and drinks real beer now".

Was talking to a work associate yesterday about a small brewery with a nice taproom in our area. He said "Yeah my son used to drink that weird micro crap but he came to his senses and drinks real beer now".

How could anyone "go back" to macro beer? :tank:

How could anyone "go back" to macro beer? :tank:

I think with some people, it's not about the beer. It's about the camaraderie, the location, the sports on the tv. The beer is just a small part of it for them. I've met many people over the twenty something years I've been a beer nerd who for them it's just beer. No more no less. These same people generally are the ones who view food the same way. They eat so they can live, they don't live to eat.

I was looking at Maltodextrine at WilliamsBrewing.com and one of the reviewers says he uses it for all his yeast starters! I had to wonder if he is trying to punk someone or if he was serious...

I was looking at Maltodextrine at WilliamsBrewing.com and one of the reviewers says he uses it for all his yeast starters! I had to wonder if he is trying to punk someone or if he was serious...

Some sour brewers will use maltodextrin in starters to get the bugs goin'.

My uncle love him to death he gave me my first beer when I was a boy always drinks budweiser and is a legit alcoholic like drinks a case of bottles only( he will give away canned budweiser ) won't drink any other beer including goodies like Guinness and such won't touch a light beer either won't even try any craft beer because in his words " anything other than budweiser in a bottle is either to close to water to dark to sweet or doesn't taste good in general and I can't believe people actually drink it like depraved animals" this is a man when I was a teenager living at his house he put his girlfriend's head through the wall while ****ing she said hi to me while I was laying on the couch with her head less than a foot from my feet and he kept ****ing her , but people who drink ales and guinness and craft beer are depraved animals I can agree light beer is like water but yeah also this is a man who considers himself a beer connoisseur though as I've clearly stated before he will only drink bottled budweiser he even looks down on cans of budweiser .

My uncle love him to death he gave me my first beer when I was a boy always drinks budweiser and is a legit alcoholic like drinks a case of bottles only( he will give away canned budweiser ) won't drink any other beer including goodies like Guinness and such won't touch a light beer either won't even try any craft beer because in his words " anything other than budweiser in a bottle is either to close to water to dark to sweet or doesn't taste good in general and I can't believe people actually drink it like depraved animals" this is a man when I was a teenager living at his house he put his girlfriend's head through the wall while ****ing she said hi to me while I was laying on the couch with her head less than a foot from my feet and he kept ****ing her , but people who drink ales and guinness and craft beer are depraved animals I can agree light beer is like water but yeah also this is a man who considers himself a beer connoisseur though as I've clearly stated before he will only drink bottled budweiser he even looks down on cans of budweiser .

That scene with the girlfriend ought to be in a movie.

Heard a guy at the homebrew shop talking about sanitation. I believe he worked there and was talking to someone interested in learning to brew. Worker told the guy "I've lost a batch of beer from an eyelash falling in there."

I had someone tell me that Cantillon and other sour beers that are open fermented were deadly the first couple of days because of e. coli and other bacteria. and that is why I should be careful when trying to brew a beer using the dregs of such bottles.

Not quite about beer, and I'm not yet sure if it's funny or not, but here we go.

My uncle claimed that the more you rack a wine, the more alcohol you get.

I laughed at first, but since I'm new to winemaking, I thought about it to see if there a way that could make sense. The only thing I can come up with is that you might wake up some dormant yeast? Seems unlikely to have much of an effect.

Not quite about beer, and I'm not yet sure if it's funny or not, but here we go.

My uncle claimed that the more you rack a wine, the more alcohol you get.

I laughed at first, but since I'm new to winemaking, I thought about it to see if there a way that could make sense. The only thing I can come up with is that you might wake up some dormant yeast? Seems unlikely to have much of an effect.

Or catch some microbes along the way...

Heard a guy at the homebrew shop talking about sanitation. I believe he worked there and was talking to someone interested in learning to brew. Worker told the guy "I've lost a batch of beer from an eyelash falling in there."

I thought Rogue's Beard Beer was decent. I don't know why eyelash beer would suck...

Heard this evening regarding a well-known breweries gose:

"Wow, this is a really nice sour!"

</facepalm></facepalm></facepalm>

Back