Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize for the bump, but after reading a the first 40, and last 10, pages of this thread I have to share. My dad drinks nothing but Genesee. He always tells a story about working in VA in the 70's. Genesee wasn't distributed there at the time, not sure if it is now. Anyway the guys he was working with all drank Bud, so my dad took down a couple extra cases after his weekend off, and these guys couldn't get enough of "his" Genny. "They said it was the strongest beer they ever drank!" He always proudly proclaims. I have too much respect for the man to correct him, amd tell him that the ABV is actually slightly lower than Budweiser. He tells this story all the time, and I always laugh, and agree. Lol That being said, I do have a certain, albeit limited, fondness for Genesee. It's mainly the nostalgia factor for me. For the price, about $15 for a 30 pack of cans there are worse beers! Another one is my dad, amd his friend, a devout Straubs man, always ask me how I can drink so many different beers without getting sick from it. Lol I guess they're just the typical old school don't mess with what works type.

I just bought a couple sixers of "Gennys" cream ale was on sale at Giant Eagle $3.99 for a 6 pack of tall boys

My wife went to a bar and asked what they had for beer, the waitress gave the usual bmc list. My wife asked then for the craft beer list. The reply was " oh, all we have for dark beer is Alaskan and shocktop" my wife's reply was Facepalm, and an Alaskan amber. Yeah she does good.

I happen to enjoy the Alaskan Amber

Hosted a party this weekend and a friend came who, kindly put, isn't much a beer connoisseur. He turned down the backup Coors Light I had on hand, says he only drinks Miller Lite. Initially was concerned that my pale ale was "too dark;" admittedly, it may be closer to an amber in color than some APA's (and thankfully was a bit more malt forward than I usually brew)... However, after trying it he really liked it, and ended up (I think) at 7 pints by the end of the night.

Best part, though, was when he was first trying the APA, he says to me: "I hope this isn't a lager, those mess up my intestinal tract!" I assured him it was an ale...

I didn't have the heart to break it to him about Miller....

One of the greatest parts of This Thing of Ours™... that look of enlightenment when a BMC drinker first tries a well-made homebrew

And in other news, University of State University researchers have concluded a ten-year, $76 million study and determined with a high degree of probability that the primary place of defecation for wild bears is, in fact, the wooded areas where they tend to habitate. Next up for the intrepid researchers is a fifteen year survey funded by a $132 million government grant to pin-down the religious affiliation of the Pope. The new study is expected to face some roadblocks, however, as there is speculation that the Papacy may change hands over the course of the study, which would likely result in a several-years-long delay and expected cost overruns of almost $10 million a year.

A guy who I met because his daughter was a friend of my daughter invited a bunch of us over to sample his homebrew. He proudly served up his "Double IPA". Being a big fan of DIPAs, I was pretty stoked to try this.

Drinking it, it was weak, mildly bitter with not much hop flavor (SNPA has more flavor), so I asked him what made it a double IPA. His response (I use quotes, but this is obviously a paraphrase): "Actually, it's probably more like a triple IPA. I used way more hops than most of my beers." "What's the ABV?" I asked him. "Oh, I think it's around 4.5....almost 5%." I'm pretty sure he didn't even dry hop it.

He was in full show off mode with his home brews and the other people there were not big craft people so they were all gushing over his beers, so I just let it go.

A guy who I met because his daughter was a friend of my daughter invited a bunch of us over to sample his homebrew. He proudly served up his "Double IPA". Being a big fan of DIPAs, I was pretty stoked to try this.

Drinking it, it was weak, mildly bitter with not much hop flavor (SNPA has more flavor), so I asked him what made it a double IPA. His response (I use quotes, but this is obviously a paraphrase): "Actually, it's probably more like a triple IPA. I used way more hops than most of my beers." "What's the ABV?" I asked him. "Oh, I think it's around 4.5....almost 5%." I'm pretty sure he didn't even dry hop it.

He was in full show off mode with his home brews and the other people there were not big craft people so they were all gushing over his beers, so I just let it go.

What does ABV have to do with hopping?

;) :fro:

You know Russell?

I was in Trader Joe's the other day to pickup a bottle of their Golden Ale (which is brewed and bottled by Unibroue and very much worth the $5!) and look their other selection of beer. I noticed the little description written underneath it had a very brief note, "Very hoppy!". :confused:

I guess it just goes to show how different people's tastes and perceptions are. I suspect whoever wrote that description either never tried the beer for themselves and went by something they were told or only drinks your standard fare American "light" fizz water. This beer is NOT at all hoppy.

I was in Trader Joe's the other day to pickup a bottle of their Golden Ale (which is brewed and bottled by Unibroue and very much worth the $5!) and look their other selection of beer. I noticed the little description written underneath it had a very brief note, "Very hoppy!". :confused:

I guess it just goes to show how different people's tastes and perceptions are. I suspect whoever wrote that description either never tried the beer for themselves and went by something they were told or only drinks your standard fare American "light" fizz water. This beer is NOT at all hoppy.

It hops around in your mouth!

(reference to earlier post)

I used to think Boston Lager and thought it somewhat hoppy, now I hardly notice the hops at all. I am not a hop head but I enjoy the occasional Ipa. My wife with seem to notice every ibu over 2. Not that she dislikes it but she is far more sensitive to hops than I am.

A friend said she drinks Michelob Ultra beer b/c it's gluten free. I was about to speak up, but decided to take another sip of my home brew and enjoy the company. :)

Last I checked it's brewed with 2-row like most other non-gluten free beers.

A friend said she drinks Michelob Ultra beer b/c it's gluten free.
You should have told her that it's specifically brewed under the Reinheitsgebot, which is a German law that specifies no less than 50 milligrams of gluten per 100 mL of beer, or something totally ridiculous like that.

At a friends house talking about where to meet up to celebrate someone's birthday. My wife suggested a brewery/taproom 5 miles from my house with 22 tap handles of great beer brewed by them. One guy in the room says "You know what the problem is with that place? They don't sell michelob ultra!"

TNT tv show Animal Kingdom (based on an Aussie movie) started its 2nd season with the brothers robbing Angel City Brewery.

Their take... $500

Apparently, the guy who clued them in on the job told the mom the brewery pays their illegal workers in cash the first Thursday of the month & there would be $90k in the safe, but they hit the place on the first Tuesday

Guy at my gym told me, with a hint of uncertainty: "Yeah, so I love stouts and porters, they get that nice, rich, dark flavor by toasting the hops."

He was quite receptive to correct information, but I still couldn't believe I was hearing it! :confused:

I'm on the Miller Tour in Milwaukee.

Guide: We use hop extract from a company just down the road. We use the extract because it keeps our beer from reacting with UV light when we package it in clear bottles.

Me: *blank stare*

My wife: *elbow*

I just let it go...

I'm on the Miller Tour in Milwaukee.

Guide: We use hop extract from a company just down the road. We use the extract because it keeps our beer from reacting with UV light when we package it in clear bottles.

Me: *blank stare*

My wife: *elbow*

I just let it go...

They do use a extract that is treated before it is added to the wort. I believe it's called tetra hop.. this is treated to prevent skunking when it is in contact with uv light

They do use a extract that is treated before it is added to the wort. I believe it's called tetra hop.. this is treated to prevent skunking when it is in contact with uv light

Yes they do use it for bittering only. There are still the other two steps of their "triple hops" process that can't and don't use tetrahop lol.

At a brewpub I go to fairly often,
customer: Can I get a Coors Light.
bartender: no, we only serve our own beers here.
Cust: What kind of place doesn't have Coors?
bt: The kind of place that brews their own beer, like it says in our name. We have a pale ale you can try if you want.
cust: ...

I hear a variation on that conversation EVERY SINGLE TIME I go there, and the place has been there for 25 years now.

At rugby practice: "Coors isn't beer... they make it so fast that it isn't done yet when they put it in the cans, so it's not technically beer when it leaves the brewery"

I have to imagine someone tried explaining bottle carbonation to him at some point. I didn't feel like explaining...

Yes they do use it for bittering only. There are still the other two steps of their "triple hops" process that can't and don't use tetrahop lol.

Ohhhh yeah, I never even thought about that!.. then what's the point of making sure your extract is treated this way if you hop three times! Haha

Ohhhh yeah, I never even thought about that!.. then what's the point of making sure your extract is treated this way if you hop three times! Haha

Saw this today... I chuckled.

20170703_132745.jpg

Back