Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not exactly sure of all the specific reasons for the difference in taste, but it has been widely noted that lactic acid produced by Lactobacillus tastes different from the lactic acid produced by Pediococcus (and they both taste different from food-grade lactic acid). It probably does have to do with certain byproducts that are made by the individual bacteria that influence how the lactic acid tastes.

For example, Lactobacillus produces softer and "rounder" tasting lactic acid, while Pediococcus produces sharper and more "aggressive" tasting lactic acid. I suppose I would describe food-grade lactic acid as "one-dimensional."

I understand what you mean, and that's why I culture wild lacto starters from 2row malt for my lacto beers. But saying that that lactic acid tastes different, is like saying that the ethanol produced by different yeast tastes different. The base chemical is always identical, it's the undefined byproducts that vary.

We had a little Labor day pool party and the home brew was a big hit. One ole gal said "this beer is giving me peanut butter legs"...I said what the heck is that? She said "easy to spread"....of course she caught me with a mouthful and I just spewed beer all over her!

We had a little Labor day pool party and the home brew was a big hit. One ole gal said "this beer is giving me peanut butter legs"...I said what the heck is that? She said "easy to spread"....of course she caught me with a mouthful and I just spewed beer all over her!

That is just so damn funny....Never heard that one before.

1) You need to have another party.
2) You need to supply that beer.
3) You need to invite her again.
4) You need to invite ME.

(Wait... to be sure... was she at least a 7?)

One of the funniest things I've overheard about beer is when someone tries one of my homebrews (no matter if I think it is only 'so-so') and they are amazed at how good it is. Of course, the majority of my first-time HB consumers are normally BMC-ers. So, how could it not be good?!

One of the funniest things I've overheard about beer is when someone tries one of my homebrews (no matter if I think it is only 'so-so') and they are amazed at how good it is. Of course, the majority of my first-time HB consumers are normally BMC-ers. So, how could it not be good?!

I get that sometimes.

"Yeah, that's pretty darn good."

"You want one?"

"Nope." (Reaches for Miller Light)

A friend of mine who is actually incredibly smart made the silly claim to me that non-alcoholic beer is made by stunting the yeast so it doesn't produce alcohol.

I told him "Actually they make beer like normal and then boil off most of the ethanol since it has a lower boiling point than water. Either that our they increase the pressure so the alcohol boils off at room temperature." He actually thanked me for setting him straight and said he wanted to learn more. Quite a rare response when someone makes a blatantly wrong statement about beer.

I hope to see you make that response.

They actually do the opposite of increasing the pressure. They reduce the pressure (create a vacuum) to boil off the alcohol. By reducing the pressure instead of increasing the temperature, the flavors are mostly unaffected.

Blatantly ironic.

I gave a growler of a red ale I made to a friend. I asked his wife what she thought of it and she told me that she didn't care for it much because she didn't like beer with flavor.

We both got a chuckle out of that.

I hope to see you make that response.

They actually do the opposite of increasing the pressure. They reduce the pressure (create a vacuum) to boil off the alcohol. By reducing the pressure instead of increasing the temperature, the flavors are mostly unaffected.

Blatantly ironic.

That's what I said. I just mis-typed there. But even if I had accidentally said "increase" to my friend and someone had pointed out that it was actually "decrease," I probably would have said "Isn't that what I said?" and apologized for misspeaking.

I don't think my mistyping was "blatantly ironic," really... :confused:

That's what I said. I just mis-typed there. But even if I had accidentally said "increase" to my friend and someone had pointed out that it was actually "decrease," I probably would have said "Isn't that what I said?" and apologized for misspeaking.

I don't think my mistyping was "blatantly ironic," really... :confused:

Nobody's judging here.

First day of my trip to Ireland, my buddy and I go to the bar and ask the bartender what her favorite beer is. "I only drink Coors lite, but the Corona is really popular." Sigh... My beer experience didn't improve. Every bar had Coors lite, Corona, Guinness, and Bulmers. I drank a lot of cider that trip.

I was waiting for a haircut and my barber (a friend of mine) told his customer that I brew beer. The guy asked if I brew IPA or regular beer.

Damn. I was wanting to take my son to Ireland in a year or two. Beer would be a big part of the experience but BMC? Eeeewwwwww...

First day of my trip to Ireland, my buddy and I go to the bar and ask the bartender what her favorite beer is. "I only drink Coors lite, but the Corona is really popular." Sigh... My beer experience didn't improve. Every bar had Coors lite, Corona, Guinness, and Bulmers. I drank a lot of cider that trip.

They are messed up. IN order for a pub to get Guinness, they have to order the BMC stuff from the distributor. So unless the oub has a lot of taps, they will just have the beers you mentioned. There are pubs that have a lot of other very good beers, but you have to search them out.

A few years back I was hanging out at a friend's house, offered my buddy a Sam Adams Boston Lager and goes "no, I don't really like lagers." I turned back to his fridge and asked what he was planning on doing with his 30 pack of Busch and all the Budweiser in there...

They say Guinness is way better in Ireland. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been to Ireland lots of times, I used to go for work. The Guinness tastes like Guinness to me, however.. some of the local boys insisted that I drink a Miller Lite. I refused but they wouldn't let it be. They ordered me one with the claim that it tastes totally different than what we have in the States. I'll be darned if it wasn't bad. It's actually got a hint of flavor. I'm thinking they use a different recipe for the euro palate, but the rumor those boys told me is that it ships over in oak casks. Not sure I believe that, but it was certainly different. It wasn't good mind you, just different.

As mentioned, you can't go wrong with whiskey. Most bars have at least the low end Red Breast, which is pretty respectable stuff. Some of their longer aged stuff is fantastic.

So my wife and I were in Boston this past weekend, and we visited the Harpoon Brewery. It was great, they've got a really nice tasting room, the place was packed. We did the brewery tour, and partway through, they brought us into a smaller tasting room, where we were able to sample several of their beers.

One was called "Secret Alloy Ale," apparently a Copper Pale Ale collaboration brew with Zildjian (the cymbal maker). I asked the tour guide what the deal was with it ("Why Alloy Ale? What's Zildjian got to do with it?"), and she told me that it's because they use the same ratio (80/20) in their recipe as Zildjian uses in their alloy composition. I asked about the beer recipe and she said, "Uhm, I think it's... yes, it's 80% Crystal 80 and 20% Pale Malt." I paused for a second, and then asked, "Are you sure you don't have that backwards?" She looked pensive for a minute, then doubled down, saying, "Yep, I'm sure, because that's how we remember, it's 80-80. 80% Crystal 80."

At that point I walked away, but seriously, it's one thing for a waitress to not know much about beers, but if you're giving tours at a brewery, wouldn't you expect the person to know you can't brew a beer like that? Maybe I'm asking too much, maybe my question was unfair? I mean, the malts she did list are in fact actual malts, so that's something, isn't it? It's not like she listed hops when I was asking for malts or something.

At that point I walked away, but seriously, it's one thing for a waitress to not know much about beers, but if you're giving tours at a brewery, wouldn't you expect the person to know you can't brew a beer like that? Maybe I'm asking too much, maybe my question was unfair? I mean, the malts she did list are in fact actual malts, so that's something, isn't it? It's not like she listed hops when I was asking for malts or something.

Haha, that would be one awful beer! I probably would give her a pass though, she did better than I would have expected a tour guide to do.

So my wife and I were in Boston this past weekend, and we visited the Harpoon Brewery. It was great, they've got a really nice tasting room, the place was packed. We did the brewery tour, and partway through, they brought us into a smaller tasting room, where we were able to sample several of their beers.

One was called "Secret Alloy Ale," apparently a Copper Pale Ale collaboration brew with Zildjian (the cymbal maker). I asked the tour guide what the deal was with it ("Why Alloy Ale? What's Zildjian got to do with it?"), and she told me that it's because they use the same ratio (80/20) in their recipe as Zildjian uses in their alloy composition. I asked about the beer recipe and she said, "Uhm, I think it's... yes, it's 80% Crystal 80 and 20% Pale Malt." I paused for a second, and then asked, "Are you sure you don't have that backwards?" She looked pensive for a minute, then doubled down, saying, "Yep, I'm sure, because that's how we remember, it's 80-80. 80% Crystal 80."

#thisiswhyimnotallowedtospeakonbrewerytourswithswmbo

I heard someone talking about a guy who would sprinkle Nottingham into yogurt and eat it before sampling because "The yeast will consume the alcohol and I won't get drunk as fast."

Back