Founders Curmudgeon Better Half (Old Ale) clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMK1992

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to get a recipe to brew a clone of this beer for my fathers birthday but I am struggling. Does anyone have any idea about the grain bill. Was thinking of maris otter, munich light, equal parts crystal 60L and 120L, and maybe some type of biscuit/honey malt? Also plan to add molasses to the boil.

I have been told that founders used a clean, neutral American house yeast for this one. Was thinking maybe WLP060?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You're in luck! https://beerandbrewing.com/founders-curmudgeon-ale-recipe

You'll need to figure out how to get the maple to stick around, but it can certainly be done. Best way is a maple syrup bourbon barrel but that may not be an option.

Yea I don't have a barrel. What I have been doing for the last two months is soaking oak chips in maple syrup. When I brew the beer I will take the chips out of the maple syrup and soak them in bourbon and see if that works.

Can't believe that recipe was posted by Jeremy. I am surprised that there are only four malts in this. I had thought there might be another crystal and or maybe biscuit malt

I think next time I go for maple in my beer, I might try cold-crashing and fining to remove most of the yeast first, and do my best to keep the beer cold from that point on. I doubt there would be enough maple sugar in any bottles to cause bottle bombs at that point, either.

I also have to believe Founders is retiring Curmudgeon from their distribution lineup. I don't see it on the 2019 calendar and Better Half was last done a year ago. Hopefully they'll divulge some more recipes!

Yea my dad and I love better half. There is a website in Europe I can get it from for £2.50 a bottle so I might stock up on it. I imagine it will age well! Such a shame there aren't more old ales about.

That's a great price! I live 10 min from the brewery and I pay $4 USD. It does age well, although I recall hearing the 2012 bath taking on what some folks described as "minty" if stored too warm. However, I opened a bottle of 2012 last year and did not taste any off-flavors whatsoever!

This is great! Curmudgeon Better Half is one of my favorite beers and they say they are not making it this year.
NOTE: this recipe seems to be for the non-"better half" version so it may need some changes if you are trying to duplicate that. (I am going to try.)
If anyone else does, please share your experiences!

What changes are you thinking of? I have my oak chips soaking in Maple syrup at the minute and have been for the last two months then will take them out and add bourbon

Well I am thinking that better half says it has both molasses and pancake syrup so I may do something with both.
Also, I am concerned that the syrup/molasses will fill/clog the pours in the wood chips and prevent the bourbon from taking hold. So I think I will use two separate batches of wood chips.
And figure out when to add pancake syrup directly- maybe in the fermenter?
Warning: I am no expert!

Don't worry either am I!!! Yea I am worried that soaking the oak chips in the maple syrup will ferment out in the secondary

Back