FotHB XVII: New Year, New Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Additionally, I wanted to see if anyone had any objections to moving pick day back a bit. I have a commitment on Sunday and won't be able to run it. I am free pretty much all next week so I am open to suggestions on possible times. Let me know. Maybe we can do it Monday night so we still stay close to the original timeline?

Last edited:
I'm going to have to drop out of this one, sorry guys. Had an equipment failure and some time scheduling issues set me back, so I only have two beers in the pipeline right now. Please invite me for the next round though!

Been contemplating but couldn't make up my mind. But it's been a while since I've done one of these so I'm in. Offers to be sent momentarily.

Additionally, I wanted to see if anyone had any objections to moving pick day back a bit. I have a commitment on Sunday and won't be able to run it. I am free pretty much all next week so I am open to suggestions on possible times. Let me know. Maybe we can do it Monday night so we still stay close to the original timeline?

Whenever : )

Is this still happening tomorrow? If so is there an offer list or pick order yet?

Is this still happening tomorrow? If so is there an offer list or pick order yet?
Sorry. I'm actually going to move the pick day back to Monday as I have a commitment tomorrow evening that I can't get out of. I'll have the pick list and offers posted some time in the next few minutes.

Here's the offers list for this round. Not a bad offering in the bunch! Pick list coming up!

@BrewMan13 Offers

Irish red ale, 5%: perfectly to style
Baltic Porter, 8.5%: dark, lagered for multiple months
Scotch ale, 9.4%: a bit darker and drier than typical of the style
Windy Acres Wild Ale, abv TBD: latest iteration using my captured yeast culture.

@3 Dawg Night Offers

Screaming Eagle Belgian Pale Ale
6.3% ABV 26 IBU 12 SRM
Fuggles & Glacier
This is one of my most-brewed beers. I jump around to a lot of styles, but I keep coming back to this one. It's a good, balanced beer that's just Belgian enough to be interesting, but it shouldn't turn you off if Belgians aren't your thing. Named in honor of the 101st Airborne that fought in the Siege of Bastogne (and many other battles) in World War II.

Groß Dunkel und Gutaussehend Munich Dunkel
5.3% ABV 21 IBU 20 SRM
Hallertau
Just a good, malty, flavorful beer. I could drink a lot of this (and have). The name translates to: "Tall Dark and Handsome." There's a picture of David Hasselhoff on the label.

Honeymoon Suite Tropical Stout
6.7% ABV 46 IBU 46 SRM
Citra & Motueka
A good all-around stout. Lots of good roasty flavor, but not overpowering. I like this better than the dry stouts that I've brewed. I hope my Irish ancestors don't haunt me for saying that. My wife and I honeymooned in St. Croix almost 20 years ago, so this beer is named in honor of an awesome week with an beautiful girl who still hasn't realized that she's out of my league.

Poppy & Parliament Standard Bitter
3.4% ABV 30 IBU 11 SRM
East Kent Goldings
I don't know that I had ever tasted an English bitter, so I decided to give it a try. This has become one of my favorites. Good balance, pleasant, and immensely drinkable. All my English beers are named after real or fictional English pubs. This one is named after the English pub here in my hometown.

@DrGMG Offers

Four Seasons Total Celebratory Ale 6.8% ABV
IPA made with Chinook, Cascade and Centennial whole leaf hops. Ode to Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada.

Four Seasons Total Celebratory Ale - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

Four Seasons Total Celebratory Ale by Graco's Brewery is a IPA - American style beer, which has 1 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

untappd.com

All Citra Everything PPQ 6.4% ABV
Citra pale ale made using citra T90 pellets, lupomax and cryo hops.

All Citra Everything PPQ - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

All Citra Everything PPQ by Graco's Brewery is a Pale Ale - New England / Hazy style beer, which has 3 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

untappd.com

Pilsner Project 6.3% ABV
Hoppy Pilsner made with Lorien and Loral hops.

Pilsner Project - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

Pilsner Project by Graco's Brewery is a Pilsner - Other style beer, which has 1 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

untappd.com

TBD (1 or 2 of these)
- New American style IPA made with citra, mosaic, simcoe, nelson sauvin (fermenting now)
- Whiskey barrel aged wee heavy 12.8% ABV (conditioning)
- Rye barrel aged imperial stout 12% ABV (conditioning)
- Parabola clone (not brewed yet)

@Dgallo Offers

Chicken or the Egg - ABV: 7.6% - Modern West Coast IPA featuring Talus, Mosaic, and Galaxy hops.

2) Nose to the Grindstone - ABV: 7.5% - Imperial Porter with Espresso, Cacao Nibs, & a touch of Vanilla

3) Josephine - ABV: 6.1% - Wild Ale fermented by a house culture blend, aged on Strawberry and Lavender, Dryhopped with Strata hops

@RCope Offers

Smoked Stout 5.3% 26ibus
Storjdal smoked malt, cocao nibs

Lunar Crush Lager 6.2% 35ibus
Phantasm, Nectaron, Vic Secret, Galaxy

Saphir Pilsner 5.6% 29ibus
H. Magnum for bittering, otherwise Saphir single hop

Classic Kölsch 5.5% 23ibus
Tettnanger, Hüll Melon Lallemand Köln dry yeast

ABBY Cold IPA (Anybody But You) 6.7% 77ibus
Citra, Strata, Simcoe

And maybe a couple add-ons: I have a Star Party IPA and a Cosmic Punch NEIPA I might throw in there…

@fourfarthing Offers

Ivy Bush - English Bitter with EKG and Fuggles

Beth - German Helles

Minor Chords of Major Works - Belgian Strong Dark Ale on Zante Currants

Maybe... Harry - Robust Porter

@TwistedGray Offers

Candied Pumpkin Stout (5% - made with candied pump in the boil)
Hard Cider (5.5% - standard house cider)
Session Brett Saison (2.5% - brett donated from RR dreggs)
? ? ?

@palmtrees offers

Dr. Motu Belgian Ale (7.4%, 64 IBU)
A hoppy, golden Belgian ale with a base of 2-row & pilsner, hopped fairly heavily with Dr. Rudi and Motueka, and fermented with Wyeast 1214.

Best Coast IPA (6%, 73 IBU)
Best of both worlds: the malt bill of a West Coast IPA (2-row with a whisper of crystal 40) and the hop schedule of a NEIPA (using Amarillo, Citra, & Cascade) fermented with Bell's yeast.

The Sagittarian NEIPA (6.8%, 48 IBU)
My house NEIPA recipe (2-row, spelt, malted oats, and honey malt), this time with Idaho 7, Galaxy, and Talus fermented with Cosmic Punch yeast.

Italian Pilsner (5%, 30 IBU)
German Pilsner, Munich, & Vienna malts. Perle, Hallertau, and Tettnanger in the kettle/whirlpool, then double dry hopped with Saphir. Fermented cool with 34/70.

@aharri1 Offers

"Sir Decoct a Lot"

Munich Helles ABV 5.1% IBU 21

This was made with 85% Murphy and rude Virginia Pilsner, and 15% epiphany Munich malt. I did a double decoction with a hochkurz step mash. Fermented at 50° with wyeast 2124 Bohemian lager.

"West Coast is the best coast"

West Coast triple IPA ABV 11.5% IBU 85

This grain bill had 99% two row and 1% c60. Bittering and aroma was done with whole cones centennial. It was dry hopped with 8 oz of local cascade pellets and 8 oz of Azacca for roughly a 6 lb per barrel dry hop. Fermented with dry us05.

"Weizenbuck'o'five"

Weizen Doppelbock ABV 8% IBU 19

I used the recipe from BYO magazine from Aventinus to clone this. I did the five temperature step mash and decoction. WLP 300 yeast.

"Blossomberry"

Melomel ABV 13.2%

2 yr old mead made with 50/50 Orange blossom and wildflower honey. Fruited and secondary with an entire fresh pineapple and 2 lb of blueberries. Dry not too sweet.

"Smudgey the cat"

Wee Heavy 9.5% ABV 25 IBU

Classic style with notes of fruits and raisins. The grist has 8 different malts. East Kent goldings for hops and Omega Scottish ale yeast.

@JCasey1992 Offers

Home Run Hefeweizen (German Weissbier)

Just a basic German Hefe brewed with Hallertau hops and fermented with Munich Classic yeast. Easy drinking and delicious!

Dead Red Irish Ale (Irish Red Ale)

Easy drinking Irish Red ale brewed with Willamette hops and fermented with S-04 yeast.

Juiced! Hazy DIPA (DIPA)

No boil Hazy DIPA brewed with copious amounts of El Dorado, Citra, and Mosaic hops and fermented with Verdant IPA yeast from Lallemand.

ESB (Extra Special Bitter)

Just a basic British ESB brewed with fuggle hops and fermented with S-04. This is my first attempt at the style so I look forward to hearing your feedback on this!

Last edited:
Here's the order of picks! If you can't make it to the draft, please send me your pick list!

1679158328410.png

Draft Date (3/20/23) & Times (all EST):
@TwistedGray @8:00pm
@DrGMG @8:05pm
@Dgallo @8:10pm
@JCasey1992 @8:15pm
@RCope @8:20pm
@fourfarthing @8:25pm
@BrewMan13 @8:30pm
@palmtrees @8:35pm
@aharri1 @8:40pm
@3 Dawg Night @8:45pm

Last edited:
Also, full disclosure on my offer. Due to a dry fired element, a dead pump, and a clogged chiller in the span of just a few days, the IPA and ESB on my offer have not been brewed yet. I have replaced all of the damaged pieces of my brewery and have two empty fermenters waiting to be filled. That said, I may be a tad late to ship due to all of this. Fortunately, I have a fair amount of free time coming up so I should be able to bust out these brews fairly quickly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Also, full disclosure on my offer. Due to a dry fired element, a dead pump, and a clogged chiller in the span of just a few days, the IPA and ESB on my offer have not been brewed yet. I have replaced all of the damaged pieces of my brewery and have two empty fermenters waiting to be filled. That said, I may be a tad late to ship due to all of this. Fortunately, I have a fair amount of free time coming up so I should be able to bust out these brews fairly quickly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Similar predicament for me, except that my issue was less technical and more that the beer drinkers in my house made their way through the Best Coast IPA in my offer way faster than I expected, before I could bottle some. So I will be brewing something nearly identical this week and will ship out when that is ready!

Similar predicament for me, except that my issue was less technical and more that the beer drinkers in my house made their way through the Best Coast IPA in my offer way faster than I expected, before I could bottle some. So I will be brewing something nearly identical this week and will ship out when that is ready!
Haha we have that same issue at my house. Any time friends or family are over we start hitting the taps and then it get low quick. Because Of that I’ve been bottling pretty much immediately once the beers are carbed lol

Haha we have that same issue at my house. Any time friends or family are over we start hitting the taps and then it get low quick. Because Of that I’ve been bottling pretty much immediately once the beers are carbed lol
I suppose people liking our beer is a good problem to have! I'll be smarter about bottling early in the future. 😊

Updated offers:

@3 Dawg Night’s Offer

Screaming Eagle Belgian Pale Ale
6.3% ABV 26 IBU 12 SRM
Fuggles & Glacier
This is one of my most-brewed beers. I jump around to a lot of styles, but I keep coming back to this one. It's a good, balanced beer that's just Belgian enough to be interesting, but it shouldn't turn you off if Belgians aren't your thing. Named in honor of the 101st Airborne that fought in the Siege of Bastogne (and many other battles) in World War II.

Groß Dunkel und Gutaussehend Munich Dunkel
5.3% ABV 21 IBU 20 SRM
Hallertau
Just a good, malty, flavorful beer. I could drink a lot of this (and have). The name translates to: "Tall Dark and Handsome." There's a picture of David Hasselhoff on the label.

Honeymoon Suite Tropical Stout
6.7% ABV 46 IBU 46 SRM
Citra & Motueka
A good all-around stout. Lots of good roasty flavor, but not overpowering. I like this better than the dry stouts that I've brewed. I hope my Irish ancestors don't haunt me for saying that. My wife and I honeymooned in St. Croix almost 20 years ago, so this beer is named in honor of an awesome week with an beautiful girl who still hasn't realized that she's out of my league.

Poppy & Parliament Standard Bitter
3.4% ABV 30 IBU 11 SRM
East Kent Goldings
I don't know that I had ever tasted an English bitter, so I decided to give it a try. This has become one of my favorites. Good balance, pleasant, and immensely drinkable. All my English beers are named after real or fictional English pubs. This one is named after the English pub here in my hometown.

@DrGMG’s offer

Four Seasons Total Celebratory Ale 6.8% ABV
IPA made with Chinook, Cascade and Centennial whole leaf hops. Ode to Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada.

Four Seasons Total Celebratory Ale - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

Four Seasons Total Celebratory Ale by Graco's Brewery is a IPA - American style beer, which has 1 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

untappd.com

All Citra Everything PPQ 6.4% ABV
Citra pale ale made using citra T90 pellets, lupomax and cryo hops.

All Citra Everything PPQ - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

All Citra Everything PPQ by Graco's Brewery is a Pale Ale - New England / Hazy style beer, which has 3 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

untappd.com

Pilsner Project 6.3% ABV
Hoppy Pilsner made with Lorien and Loral hops.

Pilsner Project - Graco's Brewery - Untappd

Pilsner Project by Graco's Brewery is a Pilsner - Other style beer, which has 1 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

untappd.com

TBD (1 or 2 of these)
- New American style IPA made with citra, mosaic, simcoe, nelson sauvin (fermenting now)
- Whiskey barrel aged wee heavy 12.8% ABV (conditioning)
- Rye barrel aged imperial stout 12% ABV (conditioning)
- Parabola clone (not brewed yet)

@Fourfarthing’s offer

Ivy Bush - English Bitter with EKG and Fuggles

Beth - German Helles

Minor Chords of Major Works - Belgian Strong Dark Ale on Zante Currants

Maybe... Harry - Robust Porter

@TwistedGray’s offer

Candied Pumpkin Stout (5% - made with candied pump in the boil)
Hard Cider (5.5% - standard house cider)
Session Brett Saison (2.5% - brett donated from RR dreggs)
? ? ?

@JCasey1992’s Offer

Home Run Hefeweizen (German Weissbier)

Just a basic German Hefe brewed with Hallertau hops. Easy drinking and delicious!

Dead Red Irish Ale (Irish Red Ale)

Easy drinking Irish Red ale brewed with Willamette hops and fermented with S-04 yeast.

Juiced! Hazy DIPA (DIPA)

No boil Hazy DIPA brewed with copious amounts of El Dorado, Citra, and Mosaic hops and fermented with Verdant IPA yeast from Lallemand.

ESB (Extra Special Bitter)

Just a basic British ESB. This is my first attempt at the style so I look forward to hearing your feedback on this!

Back